Author Topic: What weapon would you choose in real life  (Read 9050 times)

Bryman

• Hopeless
What weapon would you choose in real life
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:17:32 PM »
I would use a machete and a shot gun. And I would hide the whole time too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:32:56 PM by Bryman »

DreganVarokin

• Hopeless
  • "It's a trick. Get an axe!" - Ash
Re: What weapon would you choose in real life
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:33:22 PM »
Personally I would have several. Though I would choose weapons that doubled as other tools with a focus on being common and having few parts for durability.

Crowbar-strong hardened steal stabbing end, hooked end for placement in the top of the head or hooking defensively.   Also used for opening doors, dismantling things to make shelter or fire.  Break windows and countless other uses.

.22 caliber hand gun and rifle.  Very common ammo. You can carry many rounds without add too much weight.  Still deadly with less chance of blow through.  Close and long range options. Also I would supress if I could, the quitter the better.

Firemans axe - synthetic handle. Great deadly weapon hook on one end blade on the other lighter weight than some other axes.  Able to get through doors, walls, chop wood or heads.

Crossbow - quite deadly. More similar to shooting a rifle than a bow.  Reuseable ammo.

Several different sizes of knives placed in several different locations,  you never know when it will come in handy. Just try to keep the food ones separate from the killing ones.

Thick heavy duty leather belt - climbing.  Dragging. Lashing. Make-shift turnakit,  oh and they are great for holding up your pants.

If you really want shotgun. Go 12 gauge ( most common type ) and personally I wold go double barrel. Break action.  Less pieces and parts to break, wear out or malfunction.   Trade off only two shots.   Personally I would trade the extra shots for the reliability and durability. 

These are the weapons/tools I would try to have.  Really I already have most of them.  And even if you didn't they all would be fairly easy to find almost anywhere. 

Best of luck survivors.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:08:17 AM by DreganVarokin »
Dregan Varokin
Zombie Apocalypse Survivor

Blacqmath

• Mercenary
  • Swanzey Lake Camp Grounds
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:41:27 AM »
Depends on the situation.  If I'm out and about, I'd choose weaponry that is light and doesn't hinder my movement.  Boot knife, .22 pistol in other boot, .45 or 9mm sidearm, back strung shotgun, and some kind of melee weapon.  Maybe a sword.  As far a armour goes, I'd want to be covered from head to toe in something.  Kevlar vest and helmet and some hockey or football leg and arm pads.

If I'm at a save haven I'd chose long range and defensive weapons.  Sniper rifle, explosive charges (trip mines, semtex, etc.), napalm, and M-16 rifle.  No armour.

Piranha

• Survivor
  • advance or a8scond!
    • JUNK!garage
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 04:15:11 AM »
I'd want something I could carry with me and that would survive a lot of abuse, honestly. If I needed to travel, I'd probably want to travel lightly. A crowbar or a machete would probably be my long-term weapon of choice, at least until I found a safer place to hide out. If I was settled in a safe enough location, THEN maybe I'd take the time to fiddle with something heavier.

Andigator

• Beta Testers
  • Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:06:01 PM »
I would have a pistol for portability and a hunting rifle with strap for power and range.  No melee because I'd definitely lose and would at least get bitten.   :o

Of course everyone should have a knife on them but mostly for utility purposes.

Chyram

• Mercenary
    • Remaining Calm - Terry Fox Safe House Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »
Only thing worse then 1 zombie, is a hundred zombies. I would want something quiet and when the world goes dark and there's no sounds of machines or anything like a car on the road, guns will attract attention for miles around.

Therefore I'd want a baseball bat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying hand to hand combat is my strength, but it would be safer to deal with smaller numbers by not attracting larger groups. What I'd probably do is secure a safe house and put pu pit traps that would have to be emptied. Spiked pits, or other manners to redirect and funnel the direction of any zombie chasing me.

What I'd want if I was to use a baseball bat is good armor. A zombie may or may not have inhuman strength but the human jaw is only capable of so much strength in a bite. We're not bulldogs. I think if I were to use one or two wet suits (I live near the ocean) beneath my clothes it might provide bite protection and be light enough that it won't interfer with movement. A zombie bite might bruise me, but all I care about is if they break the skin and make contact with my blood stream.
Stop reaching for the stars! They are very very far away and made of FIRE!

http://terryfoxsafehouse.wordpress.com/

domination2727

• Survivor
  • Darkness Is The Last Favor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 10:21:41 AM »
I would use a Katana and a Glock 21.  I would destroy anything and everything with that combo. 
"As he was valiant, I honor him. But as he was ambitious, I slew him."
"As soon go kindle fire with snow, as seek to quench the fire of love with words."
{William Shakespeare}

Anvar

• Sentinel
  • Laissez le bon temps roulez! Vive le Balcony!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 06:16:03 PM »
Long-range: rifle-->high accuracy and powerful
Melee:axe--> doesn't need to be sharpened too often and can also be used as a tool

Jon Turner

• Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 11:27:15 PM »
The .22 pistol, there are probably multiple billions if not more rounds for this gun laying all over the wasteland and the ammo is light compared to other rounds.  Also a .22 bullet will penetrate a zombie's skull and ricochet around without exiting busting up that pesky brain matter quite well. 

The spiked bat - lightweight, easy to replace and repair with unlimited uses

Seithis

• Hopeless
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 12:46:34 AM »
A basic metal bar 4-5 feet long(hollow for a bit more lightness), as not much point in having a cutting instrument against things that don't bleed, and either a rifle, if ammo is plentiful, or a crossbow for reusability if it is not. Get myself onto something you need a ladder to reach,  since zombies can't climb, and yeah.

I'd love to have a flamethrower, but the only thing worse than a large number of dead things shambling at you is a large number of FLAMING dead things doing it. Chances are, zombies could keep moving long enough to get at me, since they don't really feel pain from being on fire.

Benji

• Mercenary
  • Pocket Mobsters - the best invention since the app
    • Hampton Village Cartel Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 10:38:17 PM »
To me, any gun would be the best because its long-range, but then again you'd have to know how much ammo is available. Melee weapons would last longer than guns if you were able to run out. Guns are no good without ammo, and without that you'd be SOL.

Jimmy Olson

• Hopeless
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
I'm in the military, so anything bigger than 7.62mm suits me fine!

bioctoplasterio

• Hopeless
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 02:50:17 PM »
A .22 pistol is a good choice because the ammo is plentiful and cheap. Also, pistols are smaller and easier to maintain than rifles. A double barrel shotgun isn't a bad choice either, though ammo would be less available, the weapon is heavier and not as easy to wield. A spiked bat is a bad idea for only one reason, the spikes...it does you no good to get your bat embedded in a zombie's skull and unable to get it back out. Stick to melee weapons of the smooth, blunt force sort (chain-link fence post.. hollow, galvanized steel, or a solid-wood bat or table leg would do nicely). An axe would be a good choice. Its useful for more than just killing zombies (chopping wood, opening doors/windows or just pushing things away from you). I'd go for a nice camping hatchet that can be wielded with one hand.

A hunting rifle would be useful, but I'd only use it for hunting food. Why waste ammo on a zombie tens or hundreds of yards away, which currently poses no threat? Save that ammo of the wild game that will feed you and your family in the absence of supermarkets.

My ideal loadout would be a baseball bat (wood or aluminum), camping hatchet, K-Bar (Marine combat knife), a rifle for hunting, pistol for short to medium range and 12-gauge pump for close quarters to short range... And I'd only shoot if in imminent danger or if I had to in order to clear the path I needed to take. Remember, there's no gun shops, gunsmiths, etc.. You have to maintain your own weapon and either be able to make your own reloads or have a sufficient stash to last. Once your weapon breaks down, unless you know how to maintain it, all those bullets do you no good.

cheatninja

• Mercenary
  • [reality challenged]
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 05:39:02 PM »
axe for melee sharp and quick and a .22 for abundance of ammo and handling
-minimod

Devastate

• Beta Testers
  • Sentinel
  • [Patriarachnid]
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »
The best zombie apocalypse weapon is the crowbar. It's tough, durable, can take a big beating before breaking, that's always useful. It's also completely silent, which is a near necessity for a zombie apocalypse. It's a melee weapon, meaning no ammo needs to be used for it, and also has a good bit of range (crowbars are nice and long). It is also light enough to be carried everywhere without much trouble, but heavy enough that a good swing can at least knock a zombie back a bit if it doesn't cave their skull in first. Because, let's be honest here, the only fictional monster that cares less about geting cut than a zombie is a zombie lumberjack, and shooting a zombie requires a good bit of precision. A blunt weapon is the best, because even if it doesn't kill the zombie, it gets them away from you.

Plus, crowbars are extremely useful for breaking into the deceased humanity's houses and stealing humanity's stuff, so there's that.