Author Topic: 'Gift Bags' Barter System  (Read 1103 times)

Ezekiel Stone

• Beta Testers
  • Mercenary
'Gift Bags' Barter System
« on: May 30, 2015, 04:03:05 AM »
It would be awesome to jump-start an 'in-game' Barter/Trading system. LOTS of Players have game resources they don't want/need, but others DO. So, I propose THIS:

Make available a 'Gift Bag', (available for purchase for a nominal Credit fee, say 10-20). A Player can put up to whatever amount he wants to in it, but it can be only one in-game 'asset'. Since it is a 'Gift', we already have the mechanics for Gifting in place, subject to normal Daily restrictions.
Example: ShaneBell hates to Scavenge. He also has 750 Skilly Beans he'll NEVER USE. I, on the other hand, COVET Skilly Beans, and have a ton of Supplies. SO.....

I Purchase a Gift Bag for x Credits. Roll 'some in-game asset' into it, then Gift Shane. He does the same. Both of us get what we want (the negotiations ours to decide), and MDI will ultimately benefit from Credit micro-transactions (because, if we spend Credits to do so, we'll have to replace them eventually). Ergo: Barter System. Hell, it could even be considered Crafting.

Can it be abused? SORT of. Limit it to Black Market Items, not in-game $$/Credits/etc. The mechanics for Gifting are already in place. And, as far as 'abuse'? Well, it takes two to Trade.

Give us a true in-game Barter System. In a real Zed apocalypse, I would be Bartering like a fiend for resources to stay alive. Not buying 'Pleasant Presents'.

Ezekiel Stone, EC13BF1D

Itcus

• Beta Testers
  • Hero
Re: 'Gift Bags' Barter System
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 06:47:46 AM »
I have 4800 scav beans to trade.
I'm just waiting for their price to rise.

Arp

• Beta Testers
  • Mercenary
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »
Can a system be set up to prevent a player from trading between his main and alts, or one of his alts and any other of his alts? With so many alts in the game, it would be too easy to bulk up a main by farming alts.

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »
We've put some thought into something similar as well, Ezekiel. But as Arp touched on briefly, trying to balance a system like this to ensure it doesn't destroy the economy is near impossible. Anything that we could implement that limits the opportunity for exploitation or economy destruction would likely be entirely unsatisfying to the players.

It is an interesting idea, but it's not something that we're considering at this time, survivors.

cscott300

• Player Moderators
  • Hero
    • Creekside Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 01:37:49 PM »
So I was thinking...(ouch, that hurts)

What if the trade system was designed to only be able to trade things of equivalent value but for a different game aspect? For example:

* I trade 100 duel beans for 100 hunt beans
* 1x 50% survivor's supplement for 1x 50% survivor's shield
* 1 scavenge stim for 1 duel stim

MDI could establish the list of tradable goods, frequency of trades, and whatever "tax" is required to manage the game balance.

As an added game enhancement, trades performed could add to a players "trader" skill. Each item traded would be 1xp gained.
Interesting idea, cscott300. Difficulty isn't an automatic death sentence to a good idea. :)

Itcus

• Beta Testers
  • Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 08:05:43 PM »
Add to trade skill ??
I actually lol'd at that.

Jessejane

• Beta Testers
  • Hopeless
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 04:07:48 AM »
I love this idea, with enough forethought and structure it has serious potential. Just a suggestion, you could always implement it in beta testing first..
At the very least, I would love to see the supply and cash gifts come back. :)
JJ.