Author Topic: Dev Update: October 2015  (Read 2928 times)

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
Dev Update: October 2015
« on: October 08, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »
Hello Survivors!

As we celebrate the 4th anniversary of Please Stay Calm (our first game, and the most successful one to date!), we're pretty sure you all know that we love you survivors and we love PSC. It's been an amazing and ridiculous and exciting ride. The thing is, survivors, PSC is an older game. Even if we add new features or spend more marketing money on bringing new players in, our beloved zombie apocalypse is in its golden years. We know there are newer and shinier games out there. We’re okay with that and hopefully you are too. We want to keep PSC alive and run the game as long as we can afford to do so. Should the day come when we need to seriously look at sunsetting PSC, we'll talk to you all. We'll involve you and give you lots of warning: Cross our rotting, necrotic hearts.

BUT - we aren't about to lie down and let the zombies chew on our faces yet! Whilst you've been asking about the recent Zombie of the Week events and when you'll see the next mega-super-giant event, we've been pulling ideas out from our blood soaked sleeves. Over the next few months, we’ll keep bringing back some of the old zeds for you to beat up. New survivors can unlock those elusive mastery cards and our die-hard survivors can finish off those oh-so-close masteries. Some of these zombies may be released all willy nilly into the wild, some will be mini events, some will be ZOTWs. We’re also planning to have some bigger and more "traditional" events for the upcoming holidays, like Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. 

We've always been pretty open about our ideas and plans (yes, including safehouse wars...lol) and we'll let you know about what's coming for PSC's future. If you have questions, feel free to post. We'll answer as best we can, survivors: We're listening.

Happy hunting!

Niko Bacon

• Mercenary
  • Don't eat the Bakon
    • BaconPress
Re: Dev Update: October 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:20:56 PM »
MDI, thank you for posting this. It's sad to see PSC is coming up on the beginning of the end. I have enjoyed most of the time I've spent with the game and it's community. It's gives some closure and addressed the recent "filler events". Most of the recent events involved with PSC are bringing flashbacks of the death of Shadow Wars.  -sincerely, Niko
Did I ever order the blue paint?

King Ocho

• Hopeless
  • Your Excellency
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »
I'm a pretty positive person but it seems kinda shady to have done the $100 friend codes again recently and then wave an almost-white-flag :/

Maybe I took too many chill pills but the conspiracy theory is strong on this one

Angelshark

• Player Moderators
  • Sentinel
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:42:59 PM »
Sigh.  And damn it.  And Vaffancυlo.

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »
We know that there's no great way to start a conversation like this. Change is difficult. Some people will panic, some will be angry, some will be sad. That's all understandable. Many of you have spent years with PSC and it's part of your daily routine.

Well, PSC still is part of your daily routine, survivors! We're not pulling the plug here. We are, however, making changes to the event structure you've come to expect every week. You're all accustomed to seeing new zombies, weapons, armour, and vehicles each and every week. Instead of multiple weekly events, you'll see older zombies return to the wild and longer events centred around the holidays. It harkens back to the early days of PSC.

Agent D had some sound advice in Global Chat: If you'd like to see PSC prosper and carry on for years to come, be a positive force. Be helpful and friendly to new players. Enjoy yourself and the game. Our community is what makes PSC unique, so show it. :) 

Itcus

• Beta Testers
  • Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 09:26:22 PM »
I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Severus35

• Weapon Mods Beta Testers
  • Sentinel
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 03:24:24 AM »
Hi there, i have a few questions concerning the future of your most succesful game :  ;D

*Will there be further developpment in its structure ? (Trading skill 2.0, safehouse Wars, erradication of 'post a message in the global chat'..)
*If money is an issue, have you considered crowd funding like you did with Halcyon6 ?
*If you guys are not pulling the plug now, how much time does PSC have left ?
*Are you going to fix Facebook~PSC connectivity or is that on hold too?
*Have you ever considered a second opus of PSC?
*What about missions? We were asked to 'stay tuned' about new ones.
*Are weapon mods still in Beta ? What about the loss of old weapon mods ?

That's a start. Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:46:08 AM by Severus35 »

Wolfgurl78

• Beta Testers
  • Hopeless
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 07:34:47 AM »
I must admit Cassentra, your post doesn't sound very promising for the future of PSC. It makes me sad. And I also think by having these back to back zotw events is prematurely throwing PSC into its last leg.

I understand about not coming up with  new content every week. However, have you all considered having the old Zeds in regular type hunt and vault events with tiers and such? I love to master Zeds, however with these zotw's I am not as into it because there are no drink drops.

Have you ever considered having zed of the week and throwback Thursday Zeds dropping drinks?  If this is what going to be the norm, at least make it worth our time.

I hate to bring this point up as I love psc and the devs but you all manage to come up with a new credit package every week, that includes a new weapon.

Also, it would be nice to have our forum back on top of that other game.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:37:28 AM by Wolfgurl78 »

Pink451

• Hopeless
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 08:37:03 AM »
I think wolfie made some very good points.   I actually think having some ZOTW events, with less often (but larger events) could be fun. But, the way this ZOTW event is set up, seems like it gives everyone incentive not to play.  These zeds don't give drops or have tier rewards like normal events, but they cost the same as event zeds.  If there were drops, or the zeds were in other hunts, there would still be incentive to hunt these zeds.  I know yall mix things up, so I'm hoping this ZOTW is the exception not the norm.

We all enjoy psc, and I think we're making all these comments because we want it to continue to be fun! 

Also the move in the forum makes me sad too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:51:40 AM by Pink451 »

High T

• Hopeless
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 08:41:06 AM »
I was under the impression PSC was a Dating site.......

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 12:15:48 PM »
Hello again survivors,

To address your questions:

@Severus35:
It's unlikely PSC will see any revolutionary new features. Our dev time is already fully deployed maintaining the core functions of PSC and keeping it running on multiple platforms. Facebook is a prime example: as they change their platform, we must change ours to match (we're still working on Facebook connectivity and exploring the option of playing PSC on Facebook) so that development time is spent just keeping the current game intact. Also, crowd-funding an active, freemium game is a challenge, to say the least. If players were interested in spending money to support PSC, buying credits would be just as easy - and you get credits!

We're not pulling the plug at all. Without the constant influx of weekly event content, PSC becomes more manageable for us and, in return, isn't costing more money to run than it makes. We're happy to keep PSC alive and kicking as long as the servers aren't more expensive than the revenue is generates.

We have considered a second version of PSC 2, one that honours the current players and the game's history, but moves the gameplay and its features into the future... stay tuned.  ;)

Weapon mods are still an unknown at this point. We know you've been waiting. For missions, we do have some artwork, content and ideas: we may try to roll them into events so you'll be able to experience them.

@Wolfgurl78, @Pink451:
For the past few months, we've been working to make the ZOTW concept a bit different each week. There are different rewards, titles, and drops each week, and we've had some "in the wild" and some in assaults. But, to be frank, this hasn't been working. As players, you've voiced your opinions. For us, the activity levels have shown that despite our efforts to make these mini events different and interesting, they aren't cutting it.

This has always been a game about hunting zombies with your friends. That game is still there. What we've noticed - and what we might have encouraged with our zeal to bring new and interesting events and content to you - is that our longstanding players don't want to 'just' hunt zombies anymore. Hunting zombies is only "worth it" to you folks if you get multiple rewards for each kill: an energy drink, mastery rewards, tier prizes, Leaderboard placement, etc. We are so very grateful that many of you have played PSC for years, but we can't compete with the escalating reward scale and expectations that we've admittedly helped to create.

Going forward, you'll likely see less variety in the mini-event/ZOTW structure, but more opportunity to hunt all of PSC's different zombies. We'll save our event-generation efforts for the bigger holiday events: longer events that have the rewards and drops and titles and all the things you've come to expect in A Proper Event.

As Pink451 noted, we also want PSC to be fun! So we're going to stop beating our heads against our respective keyboards trying to find filler events and focus instead on longer events centred around holidays, like the early PSC days.

Wolfgurl78, don't read more into the forum structure than is there. It's normal to be jealous when Mummy and Daddy (or Mummy and Mummy or My Three Dads, etc.) brings home a new baby, but we love all our children. Well, except for that one... but nobody liked that one. They were so creepy, right? 

@High T:
Of course is it. We need to repopulate the species or the zombies win.

Fizzzzzz

• Hopeless
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 12:59:01 PM »
Just curious is that one child Niko?

Niko Bacon

• Mercenary
  • Don't eat the Bakon
    • BaconPress
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 12:59:53 PM »
Just curious is that one child Niko?
Probably.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:04:09 PM by Niko Bacon »
Did I ever order the blue paint?

cscott300

• Player Moderators
  • Hero
    • Creekside Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 01:13:51 AM »
First off I want to credit MDI for creating a game many of us wanted (and still want to) play for close to 4 years. You managed the rare feat of both build such a game and creating an indelible bond with your player community. That bond is why I feel sad that I might one day no longer have a little PSC icon on my phone to press and play.

Many games have come and gone on my phone, harkening all the way back to my original iPhone. PSC was the primary reason I upgraded to an iPhone 4.

So now down to business. I think the return to a more OG event schedule is a good move. However, would it be possible:

- work on existing half-baked features, finishing them slowly? New crafting tiers for one. Challenges for another. I fully expect that the latter is an example of a feature that would have been massive if it had arrived earlier. But is it too late?

- reduce the frequency of the sales. Sometimes things need to be rare for them to be attractive.
- add some missions. I have to think the framework supports them and you could do that now that weekly content is not the objective?

----

All good things must come to an end. I'm just not ready ;P
Interesting idea, cscott300. Difficulty isn't an automatic death sentence to a good idea. :)

Itcus

• Beta Testers
  • Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 01:36:13 AM »
I'm sorry to say that it's too late to go back to the good ole days. Pulling you current structure and reducing the amount of content available is only making the shut down of this game more and more inevitable.
It is after all a business for you guys and you've come accustomed to the income it generates.
When that income drys up, as you know it will with less and less people playing you'll have "no choice" I'm sure, to pull the plug on the game that started it all and keep you afloat for these past 3+ years.
It is a sad thing to lose something you love and have come know as a part of your 'daily' routine for so long.
I'm sure there will still be a few shiny tricks left for you to pull out of you hat and entice players to spend a few dollars to keep this going a little longer, unfortunately for many this decision will be the "end game".
I hope I'm wrong and there's a rejuvenation of sorts with perhaps less stress and competition that might entice players to spend a few dollars on the big events and that this income will be enough to keep it afloat.
I have enjoyed immensely my 3+ years playing this game and have met some wonderful people along the way.
For that I have MDI to thank, you have my thanks.

Itcus.