Author Topic: Dev Update: October 2015  (Read 2788 times)

LizzyOnePSC

• Hopeless
Re: Dev Update: October 2015
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 01:53:12 AM »
I'm not ready... 

LizzyOnePSC

• Hopeless
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 02:01:23 AM »
And I'm angry... And ZOTW w zero rewards should never ever be in assault only.

cscott300

• Player Moderators
  • Hero
    • Creekside Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 08:31:48 AM »
Another. idea:

- add tiers to the masteries. Mastery can still be 2000 kills, but more reward tiers after that would provide an incentive for masters to continue to hunt the ZOTWs

Interesting idea, cscott300. Difficulty isn't an automatic death sentence to a good idea. :)

cscott300

• Player Moderators
  • Hero
    • Creekside Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 09:46:56 PM »
And another idea:

- publish new updates every 2-3 weeks. It doesn't have to be much. Just "bug fixes and stability improvements". It's a way to show the game is still alive for new potential players in the respective app stores. A game that hasn't seen an update in months can appear stale or dead.
Interesting idea, cscott300. Difficulty isn't an automatic death sentence to a good idea. :)

Angelshark

• Player Moderators
  • Sentinel
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 12:01:29 PM »
My two cents.

Divers? =P  and zombsaurus. Lol released to wild? 

The weekly sales don't touch.   Those of us that spend like knowing friday gets the big replenishment sales. And when it's even a few hours late I see the multitude of gc comments.  At least warn or give us a timeline.

Give the daily bonus routine a look see.  If you can combine on some days between  events that will help.   (Duel/whisper, duel/heal, scav/50%more hunt exp for zed at cafe, )
((Hopefully this is easier to code than those damn missions lol))

Add a daily for really tough.  Kill 500 zeds with blades and prize at top of daily that can be scrapped for legendary scrap.  Or is legendary scrap.    Also add a pill reward component to daily.  Doesn't have to be a full.  Or every week.  Just put it in rotation. 

Give us a way to scrap from smaller things towards legendary.   10 elite or something.....Most of the additional crafting tiers are useless without this.

Once a week/month give the top sh with challenge wins a color difference in chat. (I know the number in the leaderboard is off but ¯\(º_o)/¯ ) or legendary scrap. Or 2 full pills /drinks.  Or whatever. 

Also I came from another iPhone game that had a great community that discontinued..... I love the community here.  And I will cry probably at least a few times.  So yes I love that you have verbalized the change that we were already seeing.  (I am still pissed at the zotw with no drinks and all assault. I understand some of the changes but this drives people away.  Yes we are spoiled and I wasn't going to concentrate on this but...... There's a middle ground on getting us to spend our money and giving us things for that. Find that middle ground.)

Ok I got off track.    And that's why I tried to wait to write this response. But ....

Please stay calm is part of my daily life and I appreciate Mdi and all that you have done for us.     Still one of the best games to have direct developer/ player communication out there. 

LizzyOnePSC

• Hopeless
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »
What Angel said...

Agent D

• Player Moderators
  • Mercenary
  • Thought I got lost in the woods...didn't ya?
    • CSP Wordpress
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 02:37:07 PM »
I've been refraining from adding any more input on what I've come to understand is a tender topic for both ides of this fence... but, in an effort to push a positive cycle rather than self destructive:

--At any point correct me if I speak falsely of out of turn Dev team, just putting together a larger picture--

As Cass has already quoted me on saying, the relationship that keeps PSC going is cyclic, driven by a handful of crucial factors.  Forgive me, but being in a business field I see PSC running off of these particular items:

Growth, Engagement, Revenue, and Involvement.

MDI has been able to largely singlehandedly generate growth, encourage engagement, which in turn generated revenue, and thus refresh their involvement and ours to continue growth...wash rinse repeat.  This announcement is an acknowledgement that the present pace and status quo had become nigh untenable to maintain.  And so, being at the end of the day a for profit entity, they moved back to the model which brought them their initial success -- the best ROI as it were (return on investment), expecting that would start a downward trend from what had been seen during the time the back-to-back event ran.

So, does that meant he death of PSC?  Well, not exactly, but it can if we fall into the trap of singing swan songs.

It means as a player base, many of which who are admittedly impassioned (see prior post in this tread as evidence to that fact) now need to use that passion to keep the above cycle turning.  Its going to fall to us to find ways to promote growth, maintain engagement, offer up and secure new revenue, and thus keep both players and developers involved.  We have to fill some of the void created by MDI letting off the gas pedal.  That means we need to be creative and collective in our efforts to keep PSC up and worth keeping up-to-date.  If we are a stable stream of ideas and revenue that can sustain itself, no business person with a right mind would shutter it and thus alienate a faithful player base unless it "bled more than it fed".

So, I can hear some of you (Sev, I'm looking at you) going: English please?

It boils down to this:  To help keep PSC afloat, it ultimately has to bring in more money that it burns being online and running.  That means we need folks spending money to get credits.  I get the sense that if each player adopted Ezekiel Stone's pay-to-play model that problem would be nearly already solved.  To quote Stone: "Skip the coffee and candy bar and buy credits once a week instead, little goes a long way to play events <insert cheers emoji, skull emoji, and TM emoji>".  And with the return to the old event model, this has likely never been more true an observation, as you can accumulate resources slowly over time prior to an event, lessening the wallet shock factor for some.

So, without Devs giving us steady content-- how do we incentivize folks to even spend $5 a week?

Well, there has been many examples of safe house driven events run by the players -- horde clearing races and kill competitions, various events based around the leveling of skills, location scavenger hunts-- the player base has stretched the limits of the game engine in the pursuit of things to do, so why stop there?  Pool together to offer up a pack of small subsidies to winners, play the in house events your fellow survivors come up with and drop a small purchase to compete.  (This doesn't even begin to account for avatar themes, stacks, contests, trivia, and chat driven contests by-the-by that often have a small reward attached provided by players).

If we can homebrew our own micro challenges and events and keep our own engagement fresh between the official event as they pop up, we'll keep the Devs interested in our interest in turn.  It sounds simple, but it really isn't overly complicated to understand... it just challenging to put into practice.

So, if you really want to see PSC hit age 5 and beyond help with one of the following:
1) Commit to helping it grow and find ways to get new survivors meeting Athena.  Give fresh reviews, use your social media, hit up friends--whatever you can do is much needed PR.
2) Keep engaged, and engage others.  Be it making your own events in house, running trivia's, or just even dedicating a half hour to rambling in chat, it all keeps the community buzzing and active.
3) Keep a little revenue flowing.  Okay, so perhaps PSC is nothing more than a chat app with optional zombies, still, follow Stone and skip that coffee and put in in the PSC tip jar.  It will at minimum pay for your part of the server bandwidth and keep the PC doors open to you and your friends in game.
4) Stay involved in the forums, stay active with ideas in chat and keep the feedback channels busy.  Make it hard for the Dev team to let the whole ship coast...make them itchy to try something new.  Oh, and this also is for the Devs too -- maybe spend a lunch break with us now and again?  I know we're loud, crazy, and generally at times undistinguishable for the zeds we hunt down, but even that little appearance goes a long way toward good perceptions and PR, and since the event pace has slowed, should have a least a little more time to share than before, no?  ;D

I say all this knowing in recent times I've not been able to be as present a I used to-- times change, responsibilities change.  Things change.  PSC is changing.  Its true, this could be the beginning of a downhill spiral, but we have equal opportunity to make it a healthy change --a breather to stop and reflect, and maybe get a new direction.

After all... I got the impression we were survivors; why can't we find a way to survive this too?

Anywho, probably rambled too much-- but I still have a lot of faith in this community to dictate its own future.  If we're proactive, this chapter will be anything but a 'sunset'.

Keep positive, keep focused, and happy hunting.

<Edited for poor spelling and grammer, because I'm bad at that>
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:03:29 PM by Agent D »

Ezekiel Stone

• Beta Testers
  • Mercenary
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 03:01:24 PM »
....(chuckles)....'brown-bag your lunch once a week instead of eating out & you'll have all the PSC cash you'll ever need'...quit lamenting, folks. We've been pretty lucky over the last few years with 'Incentives' (Energy Drink drops, weekly Events, etc.). Sometimes though, you don't get a 'coupon'. Sometimes you have to pay 'full price' for services rendered. Don't complain about it. Either play, or don't. I know MY game-play style isn't going to change one bit, and I'll still spend as I always have. I like it here, and love you all. That's it, pretty much.

Wolfgurl78

• Beta Testers
  • Hopeless
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »
I think itcus and angel summed up how I feel.

Since back to back zotw events have started, my psc spending habits have went way down. I'd like to think I'm not the only one that this change  has affected how much money they drop into psc. So, I feel like with less spending going on, psc won't be generating enough income to keep its doors open, and at this time next year won't exist. Maybe I'm the minority on this, not the consensus.

In a normal event, I use roughly 60 of my own energy drinks to master a zed, the rest are drink drops. Mastering a zotw makes me take a loss, use more of my own personal stash, spend more. I'm not into that.

I want to keep supporting psc financially, help it thrive, however I expect to get the same services for the money I spend not less. Might I say I feel like zotw is substantially less, not a minor cutback.

I have thought about this a lot lately. I don't need new weapons, armor, vehicles, titles, and leaderboards to stay a happy survivor. I do believe that having zotw Zeds drop drinks is not asking too much., especially if the Zeds are only in the assaults.

I'm curious about how many serenity masteries there were, since the serenity zotw dropped drinks, there were as opposed to normal zotw masteries. I'm sure I'll be told that there was no big difference, that always seems to be the standard answer here.

Yes, maybe I'm spoiled, as Cass mentioned in an earlier post, but I feel the amount of money Ive spent in this game, and did right up until this non stop zotw, entitles me not to have to brown bag it.

Also, Cass, could y'all consider bringing back the correctional officer for a zotw. Thanks :)

All that being said, I do love psc. I love the community, the people. I'll be here until the end, I will just be working on  mastering my chat skills instead of spending my money if the current trend continues.

Angelshark

• Player Moderators
  • Sentinel
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »
14 masteries that I know of.  On the smuggler.  A bunch more who got halfway. 

Edit :  oops.  It was 15.   Plus 220 kills to get into 50th place.   The 50th place on drop bears is in the 30s. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:28:12 PM by Angelshark »

LizzyOnePSC

• Hopeless
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 05:28:07 PM »
I have no issue with paying for credits and I have paid quite a few... I don't expect to play for free, never have. I do, however, expect the ZOTW to appear in all hunt fields.

I don't expect drops or reward tiers... That is just a sweet bonus to me. If I get armor from it, all the better! 

I'm very happy to help with a task force of fellow players to drum up ideas that may be cost effective and would engage what is left of our amazing and unique PSC community. 

I don't have the knowledge of game programming but if a Dev will join us I am sure we can figure things out together.

... I hear what has been said but the devs do hold some responsibility here, it's not all up to us. It really has to come from both sides.

I'm willing to meet halfway and help out in any way I can. I don't see myself buying any more large credit packs Tho... Not with the way things are but I can buy a weekly credit pack with a weapon. That is pocket change...

We have lost a lot of dynamic and engaging players who used to fill ️GC with their shenanigans.. A lot of frustration with leveling skills, such as Trader and  heal... Many people have made suggestions as to how we can make things a bit better ... When frustration outweighs the rewards we lose people. Those frustrations will remain unless things change.

I want to be positive... We all play our own game, right? I, for one, don't want to pay solely for the privilege of killing a zed.

I'm not going anywhere. I love this community... But this can't continue as is.

cscott300

• Player Moderators
  • Hero
    • Creekside Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »
My thought after reading your thoughts is pretty simple:

PSC has always been a community first, zombie killing game second. So it's up to us, the community, to write our own story. If we revitalize our story, MDI will certainly be there with us. If we don't, well it's our own doing.

I completely agree that if we don't get back to basics (chat, welcome new survivors, challenge and be challenged) the swan song won't be far behind. But I see this as a rude reminder that we have become complacent. Look what happened to SW? Is that to be PSC's fate? Maybe someday, but not while we have an existing critical mass to prevent it.

Steeeve

• Hopeless
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 10:33:25 AM »
WOW!

This is how you drag me out of semi retirement

Well I still have a PSC bucket list to fill and loads of credits.
Seriously, I love this game and laughed so much playing this game. I've also caused loads of trouble and annoyed the mods and devs.

I sincerely apologise for my bad manners.

If the game is going to wind down then I'm glad I was a part of it

I've raged quit so many times but my special place World's End always dragged me back

love you all

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »
Thanks for the the thoughtful feedback, survivors. Discussions like this are why we think we have the best player community around. :)

We agree, rejuvenating PSC a two way street and we can all make positive changes: devs and players alike. We're emboldened by the efforts you folks are making. We certainly appreciate it. Happy hunting everyone!