Author Topic: Basic Ship Combat  (Read 1280 times)

banded1

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Sentinel
Basic Ship Combat
« on: April 09, 2016, 03:41:55 PM »
*i plan to be updating this will more comprehensive stuff. for now this will work
*with the state of the game constantly changing this may be getting quite a few updates

Ships
There are 3 basic ship types for all factions. Science (SCI), Engineering (ENG), and Tactical (TAC)

Each of those types gets a dmg bonus over one of the other types. think rock, paper, scissors. The bonus isnt
    -Eng is strong vs Tac
    -Tac is strong vs Sci
    -Sci strong vs Eng
you can somewhat use this to your advantage in deciding how to attack, but other mechanics at play should out-weight this given the way the ships work with each other.

Rolls
All Info comes as a stock ship outside of battle (no buffs/debuffs applied) and no spcial crew.

Tactical Ships: The main damage dealers and your source of team dmg buffs (if you officer or ship has the abilities). They have low health, average speed and high attack. Tactical ships have low agro and average evasion. Tac ships generally have damage dealing attacks that will do significantly more damage than the other ship types, especially when exploiting a debuff. These guys are good at punching people in the face for you.

Science Ships: The healers and defensive buffs. These ships have avg health, high speed, and low attack. Science ships have avg agro and good evasion. Sci ships will have a mix of healing and debuffing abilities centred around keeping your team alive. With their low attack, sci ships will generally be used for setting up defensive buffs and heals or hindering the enemies ability to attack you. These guys are good at cheering on the team and picking them up if they fall.

Engineering Ships: The support and "tank". These ships have high health, low speed, and avg attack. Eng ships have high agro and low evasion. Eng ships will have an array of abilities that will cause a debuff while also doing some dmg or damage over time. Eng ships are good for setting up debuffs that other ships can exploit and tanking damage. These guys are good at holding the enemies arms back while they get punched in the face.

Usually youll want to be running one of each type in your fleet. but feel free to run whatever combination of ship you like as long as you have the officers to do so. through my play-time, ive found that 2 tac and 1 sci ship will usually fair decently in most situations, but other combos will be significantly weaker because of the low damage output and limited healing available.

Enemy Ships

-Enemy factions have resistances and vulnerabilities that are currently not found on player ships (0.0.2.2)
-Each faction has different resistances and vulnerabilities. For example Xlar have weak defensive systems, but resistive crew.
-You can find what systems are strong and weak on a ship by right clicking the ship and looking at the tooltip that pops up.
-Some player attacks affect certain enemy systems (sensors, hull, weapons etc). you can see which systems an attack will affect in the tooltips.
-Taking advantage of weaknesses grants a good damage bonus (not as high as exploiting debuffs) and resistances reduce damage quite a bit.

Debuffing

-As you play, youll notice that some abilities will "inflict" a debuff on the enemy or yourself. These will be detrimental to the affected ship. mousing over a debuff or buff will give you information on it. Every debuff will cause a status effect (lower accuracy, less dmg, slower speed etc) or do damage over time (DoT)
-Debuffs can be exploited by other abilities. This means that when an ability is combined with a debuff, significantly more damage will be done, but the debuff will also be neutralized**. its a trade off but this will definitely aid you in your quest to not die.
-Generally speaking, you want to set up a debuff that your tac ship can exploit. this will usually be a sensors offline or vulnerability debuff. This does not mean you only want to use abilities that do that though. your ships will have other abilities that can do DoT or stop the enemy ship from being able to use abilities all together.
-DoT debuffs will allow you to do some damage even when your ships arent attacking, which is good, but whats better is exploiting those debuffs before they expire. This will maximize the amount of damage your enemy will take if you can time your exploits well. letting a DoT "tick" at least once before hitting the enemy with a combo'd attack is usually the safest way to play it if you know you cant just kill the enemy outright with a combo. its like asking someone you dont like to punch them in the shoulder relatively softly three times, but before the third punch your friend runs up and lays them out. Bear in mind that enemy ships can do this to you as well. all is fair in love and war.

Heals

Aside from just healing, you will also have debuffs removed.
Science ships will have the best healing abilities, but some engineering officers (not ships) have healing abilities as well.
Well all know how this works right? ok. moving on!

Officers
Officers provide special abilities to your ships as well as allow you to fly their corresponding ship types. in the early game ALWAYS BUILD A SHIP THAT YOUR OFFICERS CAN FLY otherwise youll be wasting resources on a ship that sits in your base til you get the right officer. Eng officers cant fly tac ships, tac officers cant fly eng ships and so on. officer abilities will compliment their ship types. tac officers apply team damage buffs and have abilities that do plenty of damage. Eng officers get some abilites that allow their ships to be more sustainable as well as be a nuisance to enemy ships. Science officers gain abilities that will help the team through healing and defensive buffs.
Quote from: lod
It is important to note as well that the ships are tiered and the min level and max level of the officer is currently tied to the ship they command.

Tier 1 ships allow an officer from level 1 to 5. But you cannot advance beyond level 5 in a tier 1 ship.

Tier 2 ships allow level 5 to level 7.

Tier 3 ships start at level 7.

If you officers are dying a lot, it is generally good to keep your tier 1 ships in storage after you upgrade to tier 2, so that you have don't have to build fresh ships to train the new recruits in. You will find a few officers floating about in space, beyond the 2 you start with, and will be able to recruit 3 more by building out the starbase.

** As of V0.0.2.2 The attack "Teleport Explosives" is the only attack we know of that can intentionally exploit a debuff without nullifying it. it is also a DoT style attack.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:38:52 PM by banded1 »

lod

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Mercenary
Re: Basic Ship Combat
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
It is important to note as well that the ships are tiered and the min level and max level of the officer is currently tied to the ship they command.

Tier 1 ships allow an officer from level 1 to 5. But you cannot advance beyond level 5 in a tier 1 ship.

If you officers are dying a lot, it is generally good to keep your tier 1 ships in storage after you upgrade to tier 2, so that you have don't have to build fresh ships to train the new recruits in. You will find a few officers floating about in space, beyond the 2 you start with, and will be able to recruit 3 more by building out the starbase.

banded1

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Sentinel
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 06:45:21 PM »
yea i missed that. thanks.

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 12:15:05 PM »
Engineering ships can have healing -- the Warden's Repair Drones aren't as strong as the Acolyte's Cauterize Hull, but they still allow me to win Chruul-spires-have-appeared battles with a Warden (both upgrades), a Guardian, and a Ronin (one upgrade). Prior to New Terra, I was getting along with a Marksman, Rogue, and Warden at full upgrades and not having too many problems.
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!

banded1

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Sentinel
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 03:53:08 PM »
yea i forgot about repair drones. ill fix it.

ImHalfAwake

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Hopeless
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »

Good tip, I just researched the tech to build tier 2 ships and finally got all 3 ships in my current fleet to tier 2.  I didn't know there's a level requirement!  Good to know before I spend all that materials into research tier 3 ships.