Author Topic: Resource Guide for the Early Game (v0.0.2.2)  (Read 1311 times)

narndotron

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Hopeless
Resource Guide for the Early Game (v0.0.2.2)
« on: April 11, 2016, 05:50:08 PM »
Hey all! If you're having problems building your early ships or structures I wrote this guide for you. I was a bit confused about resource generation and it took me a couple playthroughs to figure it out. Things seem to work out a bit differently if you skip to the beginning of act one.

This guide has minor spoilers for the first few missions, but probably nothing you haven't already learned from a 20 minute play session past the tutorial.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:00:56 PM by narndotron »

narndotron

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Hopeless
What resources do for you (v0.0.2.2)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 05:50:44 PM »
  • Crew - Required to build ships. When your station falls under bombardment, you will begin to lose crew. Basically you want to avoid having your screen flash red for long periods of time. If you hit zero, you'll lose the game!

• Materials - Required to build station rooms or to research technologies.

• Dark Matter - Required to research technologies, repair ships after space battles or heal crew officers after ground combat.

• Fuel - Required to move your ships to worlds. The return trip is always free. Must be a tax write-off or something.

• Power - Required to build station rooms.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:56:59 PM by narndotron »

narndotron

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Hopeless
How to get them (v0.0.2.2)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 05:56:29 PM »
You can get any non-energy resource by visiting a world with the corresponding icon within the New Terran Federation circle. Resource worlds will accumulate resources over time. Currently there's no way to tell how much will be waiting for you there. Since these worlds fall under attack frequently, it usually makes sense just to wait until you're making the trip to defend the world anyway.

• Crew - only available from colony worlds (or by abandoning other worlds.) Be careful! This is all of humanity we have left.

Fuel - the station will trickle out one fuel a turn. Build a Fuel Refinery Plant, available in the Tech Tree at the game state, to generate an additional 1 fuel per turn. You can get fuel as a reward from battles, but this seems to be limited to battles at the Station's Approach. In addition, Ghost Head is always right be the station so you can stop there if you don't have the fuel to get to your mission.
    If you play the tutorial, your resource worlds will build up enough fuel that you probably won't have a problem for your firsts 5 missions at least. If you skip the tutorial, I recommend building a Refinery ASAP. 1 or 2 extra fuel/day is enough to fly your fleet around as much as you want.

• Materials - Available as a reward for completing quests and clearing rooms, or a small amount from any space battle. You can boos the quest rewards by building a Material Multiplier room.

• Dark Matter - the station generates about 1 dark matter per day. This is generally way too slow to make a difference. Dark Matter is a reward for many quests. You can boost the amount received by building a Dark Matter Multiplier room.  You will also receive a small amount after each space battle. In general, if you need more Dark Matter, your best bet is to fly around and do some missions.

• Energy - build a reactor room! You can research more efficient rooms, but the first tier is probably good enough for the beta I'm guessing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:58:31 PM by narndotron »

narndotron

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Hopeless
Re: Resource Guide for the Early Game (v0.0.2.0)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 05:57:52 PM »
Other notes:
  • Pirate mission rewards - The first 4-5 pirate missions give you enough resources to operate in the early game. Pay attention to the rewards, some of them give you more Materials or Dark Matter, so you can do the missions in whatever order helps you with your research, ship building or room building.

• Abandoning resource worlds - you can abandon any resource world to bring a few hundred crew back to your colony.

• Scrap a ship - You can reclaim 100% of your crew by scrapping a ship, but you will only recover a small amount of dark matter.

• Tech tree research - There are multiple ways to improve the efficiency of resource consumption in the tech tree. It seems like it would take a long time to recoup your costs (maybe too long for this version of the beta), but your mileage may vary.

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 07:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the guide! :) I've been watching some Let's Play on YouTube (+1 to Modi Operandus) and trying to remember what the far left resource (crew) was. Last I knew, the non-obvious resources were supposed to be Ytterbium (or some other Y metal), Exotic Materials (or was it Metal?), and Zero Matter.
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!

banded1

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Sentinel
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »
just a heads up. update 0.0.2.2 has reduced fuel plants output to 1 fuel/day to match other tweaks theyve made.

also might want to mention that as you visit colonies, they will produce the resources indicated by the little symbol in the system map as long as you keep them operational. visiting them every once-in-a-while will help boost economy. try to keep at least one of each resource type available to yourself. (dont abandon all material producing colonies and such)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:09:03 PM by banded1 »

narndotron

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Hopeless
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 04:02:20 PM »
just a heads up. update 0.0.2.2 has reduced fuel plants output to 1 fuel/day to match other tweaks theyve made.

Thanks! I saw they posted the update about 20 minutes before I put my guide up. Should be up to date 2.2 unless there are some changes I've missed.