Author Topic: Scary Stories to Tell in the Void  (Read 1213 times)

Scuttlefish

• Hopeless
  • Amazing Crustacean
Scary Stories to Tell in the Void
« on: July 24, 2016, 11:49:05 AM »
SCARY STORIES
               TO TELL IN THE VOID

A collection of horror stories from around the Galaxy.

Watch this space.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:39:13 PM by Scuttlefish »

Scuttlefish

• Hopeless
  • Amazing Crustacean
Re: Scary Stories to Tell in the Void
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 07:38:40 PM »
The Yabling's Story

Once, there was an industrious Yabling, who found that he had a little less money than he would have liked. That being the case, he resorted to one of the oldest tricks in the book: the Pawn-Zee scheme. (It was our expression before you damn Terrans stole it.) He set up a dummy trading company and coaxed some of his rich friends to invest. Word grew of this amazing opportunity, and more and more Yablings invested their money into the fake operation.

Everything was going smoothly, until one of the earliest investors decided to sell his shares. The Pawn-Zee scheme had not fully grown, and a breakdown now would expose the operation prematurely. The Yabling began to prepare his excuse, but then a wandering accountant appeared. He guaranteed that for a small fee, he could set up a system to pay off the investors without arousing suspicion. Seeing no other choice, the Yabling agreed. Sure enough, the next morning the shareholders were paid and everything seemed fine.

A few more years past, until at last the scheme had reached fruition. The Yabling knew he had to act fast, so he faked his own death in a car accident and released a computer bug to erase a transaction records. After assuming a false identity, he went to the bank to withdraw his ill gotten gains. But upon examining his account, he learned the horrible truth:

The investors were being paid with his own money!

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 04:25:53 PM »
The Yabling has way better English skills than he has Paranoia skills. (That's supposed to be a compliment on the writing. ;))
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!

Scuttlefish

• Hopeless
  • Amazing Crustacean
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 12:21:05 AM »
The Voraash's Story

One day of fineness, Voraash be out in forest doing of the hunt. Voraash coming upon cave of much deepness, but catch the scent of food. Voraash down into cave go, searching through passage for food of tastiness. Deeper and deeper go Voraash, and scent of food get stronger and stronger. Voraash no longer know where he am, but food smell so tasty he not care.

Finally, Voraash come upon clearing of much bigness. In center is food, prancing around being cute, fuzzy, and much delicious. Voraash sneak up to food and is about to eat when food notice him. "Please, do not into eatings of the me!" shout the food. Voraash ignore, and chase food deeper into cave.

Hours and hours Voraash chase food, while food continue to shout "Do not the eat!" Finally, Voraash corner food in patch of stalactimagmites. "I is so scared" said the food, "You have so many of teeth!" Voraash be of making mental note of compliment when food say "You hands is so big!" Voraash feel insulted. Food say "You have much of tentacles!" Voraash did not know he was of tentacles. Food is about to say another thing when Voraash pick him up and swallow him whole. Satisfied, Voraash is turn of around. And then Voraash is realizing something he should have long the time ago.

Food was not talking to Voraash.

Scuttlefish

• Hopeless
  • Amazing Crustacean
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 11:40:59 PM »
The Collective's Story

Unit-028 was experiencing a error maintaining its connection to the collective.
Unit-216 was sent to perform diagnostics on Unit-028.
Unit-216 analyzed Unit-028, but found no signs of defect.
Unit-216 issued a query to Unit 028 about the nature of it's defect.
Unit 028 respond by giving an all clear.
Unit 216 runs further scans on Unit 028
Unit 216 senseses no signs of defetc
Unit216 performing physikal exammination of Unt 28
Unit216 find s nothin
Unt28 doessnt xist
Unf261 sand errr repart t colective
Unf261 experinece conactin fallr
U26 recur blts dngs 2222
U2 '''''mmmmm
U
u

[TRANSMISSION FAILED TO SEND]

Unit-216 was experiencing an error maintaining its connection to the collective.
Unit-145 was sent to perform diagnostics on Unit-216.

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 09:29:11 AM »
Scariness up is ramping.

Unit-MCF is hoping for more scary stories. (And not to be sent to perform diagnostics.)

Scuttlefish

• Hopeless
  • Amazing Crustacean
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 12:53:24 AM »
The Xlar-Yanthu's Story

(This story may require a somewhat intimate knowledge of Xlar history to have its full impact felt.)

One day of honor, an honorable warrior of the Xlar-Yanthu reported to his venerable superiors that he had discovered a mysterious artifact. An honorable scientist of the honorable Xlar-Yanthu Association for the Study of Honorable Technology arrived at the scene to inspect the venerable device. The honorable scientist studied the device for years in order to win great honor, and discovered that the device was a time machine built by the venerable ancients. The scientist was about to send his honorable research to his venerable superiors, but realized that he had an opportunity to win great honor. With this honorable machine, he could prevent the rise of the dishonorable Xlar-Mordok! The honorable scientist set the time coordinates, and activated the venerable device.

In the blink of an honorable eye, the scientist was transported back to the last days of the glorious Xlar-Nadeth empire. Having studied this glorious period of history, he knew that the inglorious Xlar known as Mordok would be found in the east wing of the Glorious Imperial Library of the Xlar-Nadeth. With great glory, the scientist used his knowledge of the glorious customs of yesteryear to infiltrate the library. Sneaking up behind Mordok, the scientist gloriously drew a dagger and slit Mordok's throat. Satisfied with his glorious deeds, the scientist pressed the recall button on the device.

Having returned to the present, the scientist stowed the way cool device in his jammin' bag and skedaddled back to the Association. But before he could get to that hip institution, a swingin' guard manning a checkpoint asked for his sweet ID card. The scientist handed over the card, but the sweetass guard said "This ID is totally bogus, man. We ain't never heard of no Xlar-Yanthu." "But surely we are all venerable members of the honorable Xlar-Yanthu", said the scientist. "Naw dog, we're the Xlar-Koresh!" said the guard.

And then the scientist realized the full weight of what he had done, brotha.

Scuttlefish

• Hopeless
  • Amazing Crustacean
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 11:24:16 PM »
The Korzan's story has been delayed due to the fact that whenever transcription in attempted, he sends out psychics waves of fear that piss everyone off.

Scuttlefish

• Hopeless
  • Amazing Crustacean
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 10:48:01 PM »
The Korzan's Story

Korzan do not fear death. They live long enough that most will have their affairs in order well before they die, and if they are incapable of doing something, others can just read their desires and do it for them. There has never been a recorded case of a Korzan screaming because he thought he was going to die, or a Korzan begging for his life. For the Korzan, death is a release.

The Korzan we now focus on was certainly ready to die. Every loose end had been tied up, aevery project completed. There was nothing left to do but wait for his organs to give out. (Suicide causes an unpleasant ripple effect in the minds of every Korzan.) So he waited. And waited.

After a few weeks of this, the Korzan had gotten seriously pissed and was about to consider suicide when he hit upon a simple yet brilliant idea. Although Korzan can only see a short distance into the future, they can read the minds of the people they find there. This ability is normally useless, because the act of transmitting the information back alters the timeline. But the Korzan figured that if he read his own mind, he could create a chain of psychic messages that went to the point of his death. Knowing when his death was, he could spend the time doing something else.

So the Korzan looked into the mind of his future self, who looked into the mind of his future self, and so on and so on. He looked further and further, until finally he found it. In two weeks, he felt his heart giving out and his lungs collapsing. Satisfied, he tried to focus back on reality

In one week, he felt his heart giving out and his lungs collapsing. Satisfied, he tried to focus back on reality

In two days, he felt his heart giving out and his lungs collapsing. Satisfied, he tried to focus back on reality

Tonight, he felt his heart giving out and his lungs collapsing and then he broke the loop. He knew he hadn't spent ten days looking into the future, he was still dimly aware of his own reality and could

In ten seconds, he felt his heart giving out and his lungs NO. This wasn't a real experience, this was only a vision. It wasn't supposed to work like this

His heart gave out and his lungs collapsed. Oh well, he thought, at least I get the release of death.

His heart gave out and his lungs collapsed.

Ten seconds ago, he feels his heart giving out and his lungs collapsing.

Yesterday night, he feels his heart giving out and his lungs collapsing.

The doctors finally found him 3 months later. Despite not having eaten for ages , he was physically fine. He was screaming, right up until they shot him.

Scuttlefish

• Hopeless
  • Amazing Crustacean
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 11:29:21 PM »
The Pirate's Story

So ye want ta hear a scary story, lad?

Aye, Cap'n.

Well, I've got one fer ya. One upon a time there was an ordinary,  perfec'ly average pirate. He was loyal to his Cap'n and his mates, and would never dream of betrayin 'em. Unferchanately fer 'im, 'is ship had been runnin a bit of a dry spell, what with the war on an' all. The pirate tried to brush it off, but he was a greedy feller at heart. Now, all pirates are somewhat, how ye say, avaricious, but this one had a perticulerly bad 'abit of-

I get it Cap'n. What happened then?

Well, one day the pirate's ship ran cross a big ol' merchant ship. Excited at their first score in months, the pirate vol'nteers fer tha boardin' party. Tha ship's defenders are dispatched quickly, so tha party splits up, each coverin' a deck of tha ship on their own. While most of the other pirates only find worthless trade goods, our pirate stumbles upon a priceless kendarian gemstone. Now, begin' a rotten no-good traitor who-

Again, I get it.

The pirate pockets tha gemstone, then reports back and says he found nothin' of value. Tha rest o tha pirates are dismayed, and the general mood in tha ship is lower than a Yabling's balls. But our pirate has this big stupid grin plastered cross 'is face. Some o' the other crew notice this, but they Dinah report in it. Satisfied, our pirate goes back to 'is bunk and gets a good night's rest.

That's it, Cap'n? That wasn't a scary story at all.

Not for our pirate, no. But think about this story, lad! It could 'appen to any one of us. Any crew member on this 'ere ship could be our pirate. Do ye understand?

Aye, Cap'n.

So do I. That's why I had Benny hack into tha merchant ship's security cameras before the search began, and i saw our pirate, and you'll never believe who 'e was!

B-but Cap'n, I can explain-

I saw everything, lad. I don't need ye to explain. I know exactly what happened.

Wait, Cap'n, please-

Ah, don't look like that, lad. You said you wanted a scary story. Now ye'll get one first hand!

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 08:35:38 PM »
Aye, tha wait's been worth it.

Scuttlefish

• Hopeless
  • Amazing Crustacean
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 09:12:08 PM »
The Android's Story

>run staycalm.exe
Fatal exception reported in line 215.
Running diagnostic...
diagnostic failed.
>int halcyon == 6
>run staycalm.exe
>if bool chruul = y then run(escape.exe)
>run staycalm.exe
>if long xp >= long threshold then level +=1, else exit
>run staycalm.exe
Fatal exception reported in line 216.
Running diagnostic...
diagnostic failed.