Author Topic: Strategy analysts (and others) wanted!  (Read 698 times)

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
Strategy analysts (and others) wanted!
« on: September 07, 2016, 07:11:07 PM »
Hello, fellow commanders. I am starting a guide for Halcyon 6 on StrategyWiki (http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Halcyon_6:_Starbase_Commander). The site allows anyone to edit pages, even if they don't create an account. (Creating an account will shield your IP address, and does not require an email address.) Since game-scale guides are large projects, I'd like help. If anyone wants to join me, I'd appreciate it. ;D

P.S. You can find my StrategyWiki username by checking the history tab on the linked page.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:01:59 PM by MongooseCalledFred »
If at first you don't succeed, be glad you clicked "Show Preview." Or saved before dying. That works too.

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
Re: Strategy analysts wanted!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:01:19 PM »
I've nominated the guide for Collaboration of the Month. I just created the Controls page, but I couldn't verify that the commands are identical cross platform.

Also, you don't have to analyze strategy to be helpful. A few of the pages are intended for the officer lists and ship details, which will be mostly grunt work once the format is established.
If at first you don't succeed, be glad you clicked "Show Preview." Or saved before dying. That works too.

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
Re: Strategy analysts (and others) wanted!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »
The Starbase operations page is up! It is missing all kinds of data, so anyone who wants to add the research costs, build costs, and/or activities that are missing, go right ahead. I only included the basics and whatever I had available at the time. (It appears that the Tier 3 Hangar is locked behind an event now, since it disappeared off of my main (bugged) save.)

evilkittenofdoom

• Hopeless
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 08:07:51 AM »
Are you still intending to do this?

If so, might I suggest making it a Wikia-based project? This would make it less strategy-guide based and more general knowledge based. You can obviously still have a segment for strategies and an entire guide, but it would feel more 'complete,' to me.

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 09:21:23 PM »
I'm waiting for the combat update/the right mood before I get started in earnest. There already is a Wikia for the game, but I'm a long time (3 years) StrategyWiki editor, and I have no intention of joining Wikia. Not only am I inclined toward independent wikis, I'm also somewhat stingy with my email address, something StrategyWiki doesn't require. Besides, strategies and applicable details are more of what I'm interested in, so I've got little reason to switch.

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 09:25:21 PM »
I have begun post-update edits! If anyone else has been waiting to start editing, now is the time to join! 8) (Or maybe in a few days when the Officers and Ships pages are started...)

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 05:22:47 PM »
And the Officers page is up! I don't have any examples of traits, powers, or officers on it yet, but they're coming.

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 09:33:58 PM »
I just added a bunch of data to the Terran Ships page. It's still missing any examples of powers, but I now have some tables up. Calculating what the base value used to be for damage and hull was a bit time consuming, since I had to plug the numbers into a calculator program.

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 04:48:13 PM »
And now all Terran ship powers have been tabulated! ;D Threat included. Things will be slightly harder when I get on to the alien ships, but that can wait.

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »
And the Officers page is up! I don't have any examples of traits, powers, or officers on it yet, but they're coming.
Thanks to those who helped add officers and sorted them! I now have the standard space powers tabulated.

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 06:52:08 PM »
I'm a doofus! I just opened a power lua in WordPad instead of Notepad, and poof, all those mysterious separators whose existence I'd been suspecting suddenly showed their true form--it is so much easier to find the important data now.

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »
Officer ground powers are now complete! I have an empty spot for cadet powers, but I'm still considering how useful that data is.

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »
I have created the Walkthrough page! It doesn't have much on it that the game doesn't tell you, but it is the start of actually getting some relevant data into the Act pages.

MongooseCalledFred

• Mercenary
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »
Act 1 is up! The main quest line is a stub, but I included some resource collection tips, and a little bit of assurance about the aliens. I completely forgot to mention the pirates.