Author Topic: Later Game Discussion [Minor Spoilers]  (Read 3023 times)

ComTrav

• Hopeless
Later Game Discussion [Minor Spoilers]
« on: September 16, 2016, 12:15:04 PM »
So let's talk about the second half of the game, post-Chimera, when the game gets a little 4X-y!

First, it's actually a really cool moment when the game 'flips' and you start playing a similar but slightly different game. A truly great video game moment -- well done!

The trouble is, I feel like the first half of the game doesn't necessarily do a good job of preparing you for this part of the game. I had no idea if I was in a good position or a bad position or what going into it, or what I needed to do because the Chruul didn't seem to be bothering Terran space very much. The game changes a lot, and it's not really laid out how or explained what I should do, besides die to increasingly larger Chruul ships.

The  game feels like it gets much harder. It feels like I'm supposed to take a "some must die so that all my live" approach, but if I'm never able to beat the progessively larger Chruul ships, I feel like I won't have a chance once the mothership arrives and the people around me are all in ruins.

Does anyone have a good strategy for the Desolator Fleet (the fleet of all sci vessels?)? I have full tier 4 ships with some upgrades,  from the Warder/Marksman/Disciple line with Amaranthine Coil (+10 percent damage/health) and I feel like I can't really scratch them. I can't set up a good attack chain because they resist everything (and purge debuffs...and heal). I can't do very much damage because they hit me with the weapons debuff. And the boss can put a tier-four tactical into critical condition in one hit. I think I got him down to "only" 5000 once and he just healed, and even with Ablative Armor, Repair Drones, and Epic Full Heal I'm usually out by the time I clear the ads.

...it's possible that I'm a little bit behind the tech curve, I think I overspent a little on tier 2, and I only had two tier 3 ships and no upgrades when Chimera showed up. Only one of my high-ranking officers survived (an Engineer, who was like level 9....I decided she was the 'hero of the Chimera') but I had a level 7 science at base so I continued to play while training up a tactical officer. I did start investing in the combat experience upgrades, but I didn't get up to Admiral in time for the Behemoth fight (I did on like day 540, but I was only like level 11, I had a lot of level 10 officer stuff to do at base.) I kinda wish I had those officers, I had more stuns and damage buffs on them.

I've heard there are benefits to allying with someone, but I haven't gotten anything, even after visiting their homeworld.

Minor QOL Change Suggestions:
-There should be an easy place to see my diplomacy standing with each faction, trying to find their homeworld is kind of a pain
-There should be a place to see my station 'life', I have no idea how many days of bombardment I can take before I lose the game
-Can we please, please integrate waypoints? I had to search the New Terran Federation for a 'hidden signal', and I think I visited every system but I couldn't find it. But having to navigate each system at once was a pain.
-A way to quit the game from the battle screen

Balance Suggestion:
-Healing doesn't seem to scale very well in the late game, I keep expecting the higher tier science ships to get more heals and they mostly get more attacks. In a long fight against a boss, you can run out of your three charges of Cauterize Hull/Ablative Armor really fast.
-Likewise, I keep expecting to see more ways to purge debuffs, given that the enemy starts using them on you a lot, but there's not any I can see
-The game has a really punishing difficulty spike. I'm playing on Captain and I had everything under control until Chimera came in and wrecked me. I know it's supposed to show a dramatic game changer, but it feels frustrating to have to wait until the halfway point of the game to find out if you're on the 'right' difficulty.
-An upgrade for crew experience gain might be nice, I feel kinda bad rushing to upgrade to the next tier before getting a few stars
-Why do all my officers get all their cool skills by level 7, but go all the way to level 14? It would be nice if there were a few extra abilities from leveling up the officers, instead of just unlocking stuff.

Advice For Other Players:
-Hey, that Repair Cost reduction upgrade is totally worth it! You'll save so much Dark Matter on higher tier ships.
-Speed is pretty useful too, since the galaxy expands

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
Re: Later Game Discussion [Minor Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 05:03:20 PM »
Interesting ideas... We'll keep an eye on this thread and see what the discussion brings. :)

ComTrav

• Hopeless
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 01:04:26 PM »
Ok, I got a "mysterious signal" which I had to decode from the bridge, and I had to find the system it was from. I found the system and was told to "scan the system."

I send fleets there and nothing happens. Usually ships entering systems scan or do what they're supposed to do automatically. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

(Also, the "continue process" button for Dark Matter and Materials is a welcome addition!)

Edit: NM I found the button.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:06:23 PM by ComTrav »

lod

• Halcyon 6 Backer
  • Mercenary
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 07:39:42 PM »
The system missions are not obvious from a UI perspective. It takes a bit to figure that part out.

ComTrav

• Hopeless
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 08:20:19 AM »
Ok, I got a bunch of officers and ships from my allied factions after waking up the mothership, which is pretty cool, but:

-My new liaison officers have no traits or bios, which is kind of a dissapointment
-My new alien ships have a +20 percent health damage/buff for hard difficulty. I assume that this is supposed to be because all the ships I'm fighting in the game get this buff, so it's a little funny to see me get it on my allied ships. There's also lots of things like "yar_faction_ships" -- it's easy to figure out what it means, but I don't think the player is supposed to see it.