Author Topic: Thoughts, Comments and Suggestions  (Read 764 times)

evilkittenofdoom

• Hopeless
Thoughts, Comments and Suggestions
« on: October 12, 2016, 09:48:53 AM »
So, I just finished my first playthrough of the game. (On Admiral, I might add) I'm quite pleased with it thus far, and am even more pleased to hear that there is more slated for release in the future. Now, I started a week ago, so my information starts as of that point. So, I started after the release of the satellite drones and such. Forgive the length of the post ahead of time, but it's my belief that a more thorough review and feedback post is of the most use to Devs. I know it's long, but there's a lot of ideas and I like to be as thorough as I can be.

I'm avoiding putting in anything that is already slated for addition, like the ability to destroy existing rooms, since that's redundant. Things that expand on what I know of, however, will be listed.

This is written as of V 1.0.0.6, and all of the following reflects that.

------ Thoughts and Comments ------

Overall a well put together game. Quite enjoyable, charming and witty all around. Does it need a bit of work in a few spots? Sure, but how many games don't? I'm definitely going to be replaying it at least once or twice to get the rest of the achievements I didn't get on my first playthrough, and to see the difference between Admiral and 'Normal' for myself.

I am very much looking forward to the continued development for Halcyon 6. There's a lot of potential here, and it's already a great game as it stands.

-- What I Like --

The starbase design is a nice concept.

The combat system is classic yet innovative.

The leveling is not too fast, nor too slow.

The 'talent trees' are familiar for most, and easy to understand and allow for a fair bit of customization.

The difficulty of the game on Admiral was difficult, but not impossible with some planning, luck (and a bit of loading of autosaves xD).

The story is simple, but also fun and pleasant to go through.

Absolutely hilarious interactions and situations all throughout the game. The references to various other things, like Star Trek, are fabulous.

The faction-based strengths and weaknesses give a real depth to combat and allow you to plan fleets according to what enemies you are fighting, if need be. They also make sense, which I like a lot.

The graphics. Halcyon 6 shows that you don't need cutting-edge 3D graphics and texture mapping to make a game look attractive.

The music is nice, but not something I'd get the soundtrack for. It fits the game nicely, though. It's not bad, it's just not phenomenal. (I listen primarily to video game soundtracks casually, so my measure of whether I'd listen to it outside of the game is how I measure how good the music is.)

I loved how the Final Boss' stats were invisible except for their HP. The only enemies in the game you could not right-click to examine, and I loved that. It's a little thing, but it was a nice touch.

Probably one of my favorite things about the combat system is the ingenious application of the Critical state. The implementation is brilliant and gives an interesting take on the matter.

-- What I Don't Like --

Officers are sort of random, but not really. They have random skill /sets/ rather than each skill slot being random. Thus, the exact combinations I'd like to see are unavailable.

Legendary Officers are only available through certain missions, and their skillsets are also locked. This makes them a questionable choice, by and large. (Xiao excluded, because she's absolutely amazing. Singularity is really, really good.)

Act II and Act III have more or less fixed timers. While I like the urgency, I also somewhat dislike how it forces you to complete the game in a certain timeframe. It's difficult to properly explore some things while also maintaining the ability to finish the game. Act IV (the finale) is basically do-or-die, so once you get there, you really can't do much else.

Overall documentation of ability properties, trait properties and many other game properties is fairly poor. A lot of trial-and-error experimentation is required to figure out what half of it does and doesn't do.
{V1.1.0.0 - Improved considerably, but still doesn't list things as clearly as I'd like. Of course, my preferences would be what many would call 'too much unnecessary information.}

The game's mechanics are highly streamlined. There is no room for choices or any major variance in upgrade paths. Eventually, you'll end up buying most, if not all of them. Your ships will all get the same buffs for their models. {V1.1.0.0 - The ability to select powers and the ships weaknesses being based on model has also greatly improved this. The upgrades need some variation as well, but steps in the right direction}

There is no scaling past level 13. While this really shouldn't be an issue, as it's difficult to even reach level 14 by the time you get to the end of the game, as a player who greatly values progression, a finite end that is easily reachable is mildly disappointing.

There is no 'Defense' stat. While that's not strictly a problem, what it does create is an issue where Speed becomes vastly more valuable, because more turns = better combat output, since your lowered speed is not offset by an improved survivability in a system where any defensive properties require turns to activate. Sure, slower ships do more damage, but that doesn't help them survive any better to do that damage. I'm not saying that a defense stat is necessary, but some form of Defensive offset to compensate for the slower speed would make slower ships much more viable, both for the player and the AI. Slow enemy ships are just laughable to fight against, by and large.

Replay Value as of this time (V 1.0.0.6) is limited. The story doesn't change, and there's not a lot of variance in what paths you can take to get to the end of the game. Aside from getting achievements or going for some sort of personal goals/challenges, there's not much reason to play the game more than two, maybe three times at most.

Conversation options have little to no bearing on the results of the conversation. If I say the wrong things to a given leader of a faction, I'd expect a more negative response than what you get. They might get annoyed, but there isn't any actual effect on the game for doing so.

-- Suggestions for Alterations and Additions --

[ Note : A lot of these things are designed to work well in conjunction with one another and to make each and every aspect of the game important, useful and a compelling choice for your next upgrade/ship/milestone (etc.) to work towards. Shuttles, for example, lose a lot of their value once you can get Satellite Drones. I'd like them to still have useful properties unique to them that would give you a reason to use them still.

Also, these are in absolutely no particular order. You have been warned. ]

Endless Mode. A mode where you can simply manage Halcyon 6 indefinitely. Perhaps with a different 'story' from the main campaign, which focuses on the diplomacy after the main-game, but with the obvious change of *spoilers.* This is admittedly a very large subject, which could encompass a post of this one's length in and of itself, if not more. I may or may not decide to write that up as well, if I have the time and energy to do so.

Halcyon 6's main story, from the perspective of each Faction. (Ever wondered what the story would look like if after the 100-year war, The Collective had control of Halcyon 6 instead? How about we find out?!). Would provide an interesting alternative gameplay using each factions different skillsets, ships and so on that already exist in-game. Coupled with Endless Mode, it adds even more replayability.

Allow for the training of Legendary Officers, either by improving existing ones or by recruiting them at a higher cost. Maybe both.

Allow for the manual alteration of abilities, traits and Elite Crew bonuses at some sort of cost. {V1.1.0.0 - Abilities are now selected, which is awesome. Traits and Elite Crew would still be a welcome addition to customization}

Allow for the upgrading of existing ships rather than the construction of brand new ones, which would put the ship in the hangar for a time while it upgrades, but would maintain its existing Elite Crew, battles won and so forth.

Allow us to queue instructions for a fleet. Don't spend the Fuel until each step is executed, but if I could set my fleet to tag each of my facilities in order automatically, it'd make my life a little less tedious.

Allow for the toggling of automatically continuing production of Materials/Dark Matter/Crew at the appropriate rooms.

Give a refund for cancelled projects. Similarly, don't spend the Satellite Drone until the project is completed, rather than when it is started. (While it does get calibrated, I'm sure, and that's what takes so long, I don't see why it couldn't be recalibrated if you have to stop mid-way through to avoid incoming fire)

Add a small chance for Satellite Drones to be destroyed, requiring you to redeploy one before automated resource collection resumes.

Add the ability to reconstruct/repair destroyed facilities. {V1.1.0.0 - Implemented. }

Add somewhere we can see our crit chance, both in and out of combat. { V1.1.0.0 - Implemented, my only comment from here would be an awareness of how much of an increase Critical Hits are in damage. }

Increase the number of upgrades for ships, but allow a fixed number of active upgrades for each ship type. This allows for greater customization to a player's given playstyle instead of a very linear 'upgrades' path. Works well in conjunction with or as a part of the Equipment system that is slated for release at some point.

Increase the number of available ship types. Two per class per tier is somewhat limiting in options.

Allow for the creation of a custom ship, using various options of models, abilities, stat spreads and so on. Goes well with the planned Equipment system, as I envision it. {V1.1.0.0 - Partially implemented with the ability selection system. }

Improve the effectiveness of 'Threat.' At current, even maxed out Threat increases seem to be maybe a 2/3 chance of being targeted by a single-target action. Similarly, even reduced as much as possible, it's still a fair chance of getting targeted. Threat alteration is not nearly as reliable as I'd like. { V1.1.0.0 - Threat abilities appear to work significantly better, which is awesome. }

Reduce the maximum damage reduction bonus from 100% to somewhere around 80%. The current cap is high enough to gain nigh-on (if not actual) invulnerability for periods of time. I managed a fairly steady 85-90% on my run on Admiral for 3 rounds at a time, taking even the most brutal of hits and instead making them tickle. {Once I started hitting enemies that could strip Buffs off of me, that changed a little bit, but the Final Boss can't do that, thankfully.}

Note on any skill's descriptions whether it removes buffs or debuffs, and which ones.

Add more 'random' events for space, Halcyon 6, and in general. They're fun little choices with consequences, and I'd like a lot more of them, and for not all of them to trigger in any given playthrough.

When selecting a move that will exploit Engines Down, give a preview of the altered turn order if it should succeed. The same goes for any moves that increase speed.

Change the 'Chruul Lab' to the 'Alien Research Lab,' then add purchasable expansions to research each faction and make the Chruul expansion free so as to replicate the current setup of the Chruul Lab. (Also, more Chruul research, please).

Debuff Resistance. At current, debuffs are prevalent to receive, are very difficult to remove, and there is only one way to my knowledge to gain any resistance to them whatsoever. So means to alter the debuff resistances and/or more ways to remove debuffs would be quite welcome.
 -- On a similar note, have certain buffs and debuffs be opposites to one another, so that they cancel each other out. That would need a very careful amount of judgement and execution, but I could see it adding more than it detracts. {V1.1.0.0 - Ship Models and sector adjustments have added some of that, and the ability to stack several restoratives on a single Engineering ship via ability selections also helps, but it's still pretty bad. }

Fuse the hangars for the ship research into a single Ship Research Room. In doing so, however, also make rooms that are actual hangars, which you require to have so many ships. (Say each Hangar permits you to dock 2 or 3 ships in it). Allow the hangars to be upgradeable as well in various matters, like repair efficiency and other things.

A Combat Training room, where you can send officers to fight drones/dummies to get XP without the same risk of fighting real enemies, and where they can do so automatically much as they make resources at other rooms. (I.E. a room to gain just XP at a vastly increased rate as compared to supply creation).

Add in Hangars for non-Terran ships, which you can obtain the blueprints/permissions from other factions in some manner.

Add variants of standard debuffs which have different degrees of severity. (So like Hull Breach is dependent on the Base Attack, make it so that some instances of Sensors Offline inflict a 25% penalty while others from more powerful skills maybe inflict a 50% penalty).
-- Alternatively, allow certain buffs and debuffs to stack with themselves, adding their effects together, but only removing a single stack when exploited or dispelled.  More powerful abilities could apply more than one stack of certain debuffs or buffs.

Many abilities have drawbacks. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but the drawbacks often times outweigh the benefits. A better balance of such would be cool. I may type up a separate post regarding that specifically.

Add more Artifacts that can be found and installed into your station. Perhaps some ones you can get earlier that are then replaced by improved variants down the road, or a system where your station can 'equip' so many Artifact Modules at a time, and that maybe you can invest in additional Module slots. Also works well with the Equipment system you have slated for development/release.

Improve the Exploit mechanics to not always just increase damage. Maybe for some moves when you Exploit a status effect, improve the accuracy as well, or the duration of the effect, or the odds of applying another status effect. As it stands, exploiting a status effect using a move with low power is by and large not worthwhile.

Give a threat display somewhere on-screen in combat. {V1.1.0.0 - Threat modifying status effects now list the change in their tooltip, but an overall threat value would still  be nice. }

Set menus so that they are on the top layer of the UI. Some moves at current will cover up your controls and menus.

Add more traits. Maybe some that provide buffs at the beginning of battle, or some that provide increased chance to inflict certain debuffs.

Increase the number of times you retreat before you lose the 'Chruul Hater' trait or gain the 'Chruul Sympathizer' trait so that you don't lose them or gain them the first time you retreat from a battle with them.

Show how much resources are being generated by Halcyon 6 when you hover over the resource in the top-right of the screen.
-- Similarly, make a page that summarizes the current status of all allied facilities, including upgrades, output, current/max stockpile and so on.

Allow for a facility that has been evacuated to be re-manned at a later date.

More ground combat prevalence. The amount of ground combat is not exactly significant, and it makes it largely unnecessary to take much time investing in ground combat skills. I understand it's a space combat game, but with the amount of skills and properties that exist, I expected a bit more use of them.
-- Alongside that, allow for ships to have 'passengers' - officers who are not used in Space combat, but who travel with a Fleet and can be beamed down for Ground Combat. This would allow for officers to specialize in either Space or Ground combat without needing to compromise in either one, but at the cost of requiring more Officers in a single fleet. In addition, allow those officers to depart the Fleet at a facility to complete tasks while the Fleet leaves to do other tasks. The Officer would not be able to leave until picked up, but the Fleet would not be stuck waiting for them to complete their tasks.

Allow the commander to break up fleets and reassemble them away from Halcyon 6, provided the ships and officers in question are all at the same facility. 

Make fuel costs calculated based on each vessel (and the tier of said vessel) in the fleet. Higher tiered vessels have higher fuel costs. Make shuttles have no fuel cost, but also have a slower movement speed in sector space. This would make an increased need for Fuel later in the game (currently it becomes largely a non-issue by the middle of Act I). This would also allow you to at least always have something that can go gather resources, even if you are out of fuel.

Add the ability to move Halcyon 6, or to create 'Outposts' where certain tasks can be done, resources can be turned in, and so on.

Add a research tree that when defending Halcyon 6 from incoming bombardment, the station itself can aid the defending fleet in combat some. (Turrets, Shielding Units, Healing Modules or whatever you'd like.)

Add a research tree that reduces the Crew lost during bombardments.

Add the ability to scout more than one instance of Crew at a time. Since the scouting of Crew is tied to the Cadet Barracks, you can only scout Crew with one officer at a time, and you cannot perform any upgrade for the Green Shirts at the same time, either. It's a lot of research and other functions in a single room.

Add a 'Cloaking Field' research for Shuttles that prevents them from running into random encounters, and that the second tier of the research allows them to safely dock and interact with facilities that are currently occupied by hostile fleets without engaging them or being attacked by them.

Add multiple 'flight speed' options for when launching a fleet, which have increased fuel costs for increased movement speed.

Add a research function that allows for very minor passive repairs on ships while they are out of combat, regardless of whether they are docked at Halcyon 6. Fix that 50 points of damage you didn't quite heal from the last fight while you're travelling to the next one, for example.

Add the ability to trade/convert resources from one type to another. Have too much Dark Matter and not enough Materials? How about a quick trade with the Yabbling Alliance to fix that? Maybe make it so you have to trade with factions, and the trade rates vary depending on the faction, your reputation with them and the materials you are trading with and for.

More officer slots are always welcome.

Add a display for the current total damage resistance in combat.

... So that's about all I've got at the moment. I'll add posts to this as I come up with more. I kindly ask that players keep their comments and opinions on these ideas to themselves. I'm happy to clarify anything about them, and always welcome discussion that generates better ideas, but I don't care to hear any bashing of ideas that you may not like. If you have concerns with something, please kindly outline them and express them in a civil, constructive manner.

Hopefully this is helpful to the Devs as well, and I'm always happy to answer anything or elaborate on anything if you'd like.

Thanks for all of your work and for making this absolutely awesome game! (And try not to work the flesh husks too badly, alright?)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:11:46 AM by evilkittenofdoom »

evilkittenofdoom

• Hopeless
Re: Thoughts, Comments and Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:12:39 AM »
Updated to reflect the changes in V1.1.0.0, according to the public changelogs listed on Steam by cassentra

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »
Awesome, @evilkittenofdoom. We quite like some of your ideas and (as of v1.1) you can see that we were working on some of these already! Your v1.1 updates are great too: helps us see where we're hitting for mark for you.

evilkittenofdoom

• Hopeless
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 12:01:14 PM »
First and foremost, it was refreshing to see that you took the time to read them and consider them. As a player, it's rare to see Developers these days bother to respond to half of the playerbase's comments and such, so I thank you for that.

I skipped replaying again during the v1.2.0.0 release, but am doing another run or two now in v1.3.0.0

I'll be rewriting my previous assessment from V.1.0.0.0

(Okay, so I got back from class and promptly crashed into bed. xD)

Using the same format, and without further ado, I present yet another Thoughts, Comments and Suggestions.

------ Thoughts and Comments ------

So far, it's great, and it keeps getting better. It's gotten less redundant, and I can't say necessarily easier in actual difficulty, but definitely easier in playability. The aforementioned statements from V1.0.0.6 still stand.

-- What I Like --

Including the previous notions...

Equipment is wonderfully implemented. I am not quite through with my first instance of an Equipment (V1.3.0.0) file, but so far, I'm liking it.

The ability customization for ships is lovely. I can now tailor my fleets to my liking.

The ships varying weaknesses and strength is nice as well.

The Chruul variants and Sector Properties are a nice touch as well. They make the primary enemy of the game a bit less static and a bit harder to really deal with. I can't use the exact same strategy every single fight any more.

Station Health. The crew death as a health measure was weird for me. This system makes a lot more sense.

-- What I Don't Like --

Officers are still only sort of random. The number of combinations appears to have increased, but it's still not as dynamic as I'd like.

Legendary Officers are only available through certain missions, and their skillsets are also locked. I have not found the newer ones since V1.1.0.0, so I cannot speak for those quite yet, but even so, I'd like some more variety in them, without them becoming too 'un-legendary,' as it were. I mean, Legendary, I was expecting awesome stats or something, not just a single power with a really hefty cooldown.

Act II and Act III have more or less fixed timers. While I like the urgency, I also somewhat dislike how it forces you to complete the game in a certain timeframe. It's difficult to properly explore some things while also maintaining the ability to finish the game. Act IV (the finale) is basically do-or-die, so once you get there, you really can't do much else. [ This remains exactly the same, and I'm not a huge fan of it ]

Overall documentation of ability properties, trait properties and many other game properties is fairly poor. A lot of trial-and-error experimentation is required to figure out what half of it does and doesn't do. This has improved considerably as time goes by, but even now, some of those things are not well documented, if at all. { I will be compiling as list of abilities that I think need documentation if I can find time between my classes to do so }

Ship upgrades are still fairly static, though with the ability to choose your powers, and now with Equipment available, it is a bit more dynamic than it once was. I would still like the Upgrades to be a bit more varied.

There is no scaling past level 13. While this really shouldn't be an issue, as it's difficult to even reach level 14 by the time you get to the end of the game, as a player who greatly values progression, a finite end that is easily reachable is mildly disappointing.

My Speed vs. Defense argument still stands. Speed is an immensely powerful stat in the game.

Replay Value remains somewhat limited. I honestly skipped the V1.2.0.0 update because I wasn't up for doing it /again/ at the time.

Conversation options have little to no bearing on the results of the conversation. While conversations have gotten somewhat more entertaining in many instances, and the newer random space encounters do have more consequential occurrences, the faction-based stuff so far seems fairly static. Again, I have not completely finished a run since V1.1.0.6, so once I do finish my current run, I will adjust this accordingly.

-- Suggestions for Alterations and Additions --

[ Note : A lot of these things are designed to work well in conjunction with one another and to make each and every aspect of the game important, useful and a compelling choice for your next upgrade/ship/milestone (etc.) to work towards. Shuttles, for example, lose a lot of their value once you can get Satellite Drones. I'd like them to still have useful properties unique to them that would give you a reason to use them still.

Also, these are in absolutely no particular order. You have been warned. Some of them are duplicated directly, some are expanded on, and a few are new. ]

Endless Mode. A mode where you can simply manage Halcyon 6 indefinitely. Perhaps with a different 'story' from the main campaign, which focuses on the diplomacy after the main-game, but with the obvious change of *spoilers.* This is admittedly a very large subject, which could encompass a post of this one's length in and of itself, if not more. I may or may not decide to write that up as well, if I have the time and energy to do so.

Also, Endless Mode plz. 'Cause, seriously. It'd be awesome.

Halcyon 6's main story, from the perspective of each Faction. (Ever wondered what the story would look like if after the 100-year war, The Collective had control of Halcyon 6 instead? How about we find out?!). Would provide an interesting alternative gameplay using each factions different skillsets, ships and so on that already exist in-game. Coupled with Endless Mode, it adds even more replayability.

Allow for the training of Legendary Officers, either by improving existing ones or by recruiting them at a higher cost. Maybe both.

Allow for the manual alteration of abilities, traits and Elite Crew bonuses at some sort of cost. {V1.1.0.0 - Abilities are now selected, which is awesome. Traits and Elite Crew would still be a welcome addition to customization}

Allow for the upgrading of existing ships rather than the construction of brand new ones, which would put the ship in the hangar for a time while it upgrades, but would maintain its existing Elite Crew, battles won and so forth.

Allow us to queue instructions for a fleet. Don't spend the Fuel until each step is executed, but if I could set my fleet to tag each of my facilities in order automatically, it'd make my life a little less tedious. This is the primary reason I run a single fleet at a time. I don't feel like tagging two separate fleets on two different itineraries and trying to keep them in order, especially if combat is in the middle of them.

Allow for the toggling of automatically continuing production of Materials/Dark Matter/Crew at the appropriate rooms.

Give a refund for cancelled projects. Similarly, don't spend the Satellite Drone until the project is completed, rather than when it is started. (While it does get calibrated, I'm sure, and that's what takes so long, I don't see why it couldn't be recalibrated if you have to stop mid-way through to avoid incoming fire)

Add a small chance for Satellite Drones to be destroyed, requiring you to redeploy one before automated resource collection resumes. Once you get all of them deployed, there's little reason to make more.

Some form of documentation on certain game mechanics, like Critical Hit Damage Increase and Threat, would be most welcome.

Increase the number of available ship types. Two per class per tier is somewhat limiting in options.

Ship customization has greatly increased since V1.0.0.6, though I do think there is still some room for further development. More ship models, and a wider, more distinct set of differences between them would go a long way.

Reduce the maximum damage reduction bonus from 100% to somewhere around 80%. The current cap is high enough to gain nigh-on (if not actual) invulnerability for periods of time. I managed a fairly steady 85-90% on my run on Admiral for 3 rounds at a time, taking even the most brutal of hits and instead making them tickle. {Once I started hitting enemies that could strip Buffs off of me, that changed a little bit, but the Final Boss can't do that, thankfully.} [ I vaguely recall this being done, but I can't remember if and where I saw that post. ]

Add more 'random' events for space, Halcyon 6, and in general. They're fun little choices with consequences, and I'd like a lot more of them, and for not all of them to trigger in any given playthrough. Yes, even more. ALL OF THEM!!! *ahem*

When selecting a move that will exploit Engines Down, give a preview of the altered turn order if it should succeed. The same goes for any moves that increase speed.

Change the 'Chruul Lab' to the 'Alien Research Lab,' then add purchasable expansions to research each faction and make the Chruul expansion free so as to replicate the current setup of the Chruul Lab. (Also, more Chruul research, please).

Debuffs. Debuffs are an integral portion of the game, which I love. The exploit mechanic is ingenious. That being said, resistance to debuffs for player ships is somewhat difficult to obtain. Equipment and ship models adjust this some, but not nearly as much as I was hoping. I'd like to see the ability to develop some more specialized forms of Debuff resistance, perhaps at the cost of other things, like Firepower, Aim, Speed, Hull, or what have you.

Fuse the hangars for the ship research into a single Ship Research Room. In doing so, however, also make rooms that are actual hangars, which you require to have so many ships. (Say each Hangar permits you to dock 2 or 3 ships in it). Allow the hangars to be upgradeable as well in various matters, like repair efficiency and other things.

A Combat Training room, where you can send officers to fight drones/dummies to get XP without the same risk of fighting real enemies, and where they can do so automatically much as they make resources at other rooms. (I.E. a room to gain just XP at a vastly increased rate as compared to supply creation).

Add in Hangars for non-Terran ships, which you can obtain the blueprints/permissions from other factions in some manner.

Add variants of standard debuffs which have different degrees of severity. (So like Hull Breach is dependent on the Base Attack, make it so that some instances of Sensors Offline inflict a 25% penalty while others from more powerful skills maybe inflict a 50% penalty).
-- Alternatively, allow certain buffs and debuffs to stack with themselves, adding their effects together, but only removing a single stack when exploited, dispelled or healed.  More powerful abilities could apply more than one stack of certain debuffs or buffs. This would immensely improve the tactical nature of using Debuffs and the Exploit Mechanic, and I believe it would make the game a lot more fun than it already is.

Many abilities have drawbacks. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but the drawbacks often times outweigh the benefits. A better balance of such would be cool. I may type up a separate post regarding that specifically. This is still true, though admittedly a little less so than it used to be.

Add more Artifacts that can be found and installed into your station. Perhaps some ones you can get earlier that are then replaced by improved variants down the road, or a system where your station can 'equip' so many Artifact Modules at a time, and that maybe you can invest in additional Module slots. I.E. an Equipment System for Halcyon 6 itself.

Improve the Exploit mechanics to not always just increase damage. Maybe for some moves when you Exploit a status effect, improve the accuracy as well, or the duration of the effect, or the odds of applying another status effect. As it stands, exploiting a status effect using a move with low power is by and large not worthwhile.

Give a threat display somewhere on-screen in combat. {V1.1.0.0 - Threat modifying status effects now list the change in their tooltip, but an overall threat value would still  be nice. }

Set menus so that they are on the top layer of the UI. Some moves at current will cover up your controls and menus. Super important. I'm getting tired of not being able to see the DoT or other buff/debuff values on my 3rd ship because his abilities menu is on top of the icons.

Add more traits. Maybe some that provide buffs at the beginning of battle, or some that provide increased chance to inflict certain debuffs.

Increase the number of times you retreat before you lose the 'Chruul Hater' trait or gain the 'Chruul Sympathizer' trait so that you don't lose them or gain them the first time you retreat from a battle with them.

Show how much resources are being generated by Halcyon 6 when you hover over the resource in the top-right of the screen.
-- Similarly, make a page that summarizes the current status of all allied facilities, including upgrades, output, current/max stockpile and so on.

More ground combat prevalence. The amount of ground combat is not exactly significant, and it makes it largely unnecessary to take much time investing in ground combat skills. I understand it's a space combat game, but with the amount of skills and properties that exist, I expected a bit more use of them.
-- Alongside that, allow for ships to have 'passengers' - officers who are not used in Space combat, but who travel with a Fleet and can be beamed down for Ground Combat. This would allow for officers to specialize in either Space or Ground combat without needing to compromise in either one, but at the cost of requiring more Officers in a single fleet. In addition, allow those officers to depart the Fleet at a facility to complete tasks while the Fleet leaves to do other tasks. The Officer would not be able to leave until picked up, but the Fleet would not be stuck waiting for them to complete their tasks.

Allow the commander to break up fleets and reassemble them away from Halcyon 6, provided the ships and officers in question are all at the same facility. 

Make fuel costs calculated based on each vessel (and the tier of said vessel) in the fleet. Higher tiered vessels have higher fuel costs. Make shuttles have no fuel cost, but also have a slower movement speed in sector space. This would make an increased need for Fuel later in the game (currently it becomes largely a non-issue by the middle of Act I). This would also allow you to at least always have something that can go gather resources, even if you are out of fuel.
- Alternatively, some other use for Fuel. Cause it's silly how much Fuel you can very quickly generate, rats aside.

Add the ability to move Halcyon 6, or to create 'Outposts' where certain tasks can be done, resources can be turned in, and so on.

Add a research tree that when defending Halcyon 6 from incoming bombardment, the station itself can aid the defending fleet in combat some. (Turrets, Shielding Units, Healing Modules or whatever you'd like.)

Add a research tree that improves Halcyon 6's Station Health, Damage Resistance and other properties.

Add the ability to scout more than one instance of Crew at a time. Since the scouting of Crew is tied to the Cadet Barracks, you can only scout Crew with one officer at a time, and you cannot perform any upgrade for the Green Shirts at the same time, either. It's a lot of research and other functions in a single room.

Add a 'Cloaking Field' research for Shuttles that prevents them from running into random encounters, and that the second tier of the research allows them to safely dock and interact with facilities that are currently occupied by hostile fleets without engaging them or being attacked by them.

Add a research function that allows for very minor passive repairs on ships while they are out of combat, regardless of whether they are docked at Halcyon 6. Fix that 50 points of damage you didn't quite heal from the last fight while you're travelling to the next one, for example.

Add the ability to trade/convert resources from one type to another. Have too much Dark Matter and not enough Materials? How about a quick trade with the Yabbling Alliance to fix that? Maybe make it so you have to trade with factions, and the trade rates vary depending on the faction, your reputation with them and the materials you are trading with and for.

More officer slots are always welcome.

More Equipment Construction options, perhaps?

Overkill is nice a nice mechanic, but hard to actually manage after Tier 2 ships. Perhaps lower the threshold just a tad? Also, some idea of what actually constitutes an Overkill would be cool, too.

... So that's about all I've got at the moment. I'll add posts to this as I come up with more. I kindly ask that players keep their comments and opinions on these ideas to themselves. I'm happy to clarify anything about them, and always welcome discussion that generates better ideas, but I don't care to hear any bashing of ideas that you may not like. If you have concerns with something, please kindly outline them and express them in a civil, constructive manner.

Hopefully this is helpful to the Devs as well, and I'm always happy to answer anything or elaborate on anything if you'd like.

Thanks for all of your work and for making this absolutely awesome game, and for continuing to make it even better! (Tell the flesh husks that their hard work is mostly appreciated as well.   ;) )
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:14:14 AM by evilkittenofdoom »

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »
Thanks for your detailed and well-written feedback, @ evilkittenofdoom! We always appreciate when someone takes the time to share their thoughts with us on Halcyon 6. And we're stoked that you're enjoying the game as much as you are! <3

We've shared your feedback with the team as whole. Thanks again and good luck out there, Commander.