Author Topic: Dev Update: December 2016 - PSC State of the Nation  (Read 5496 times)

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
Dev Update: December 2016 - PSC State of the Nation
« on: December 13, 2016, 12:22:26 AM »
Survivors, we're reaching out today with sad news.

As we mentioned last year in our October 2015 Dev Report, we absolutely love our community and we're ever thankful of the time you choose to spend with PSC and your zombie friends. We also promised to let you know when the writing was on the wall and well...

It's that time, survivors. :(

While some may have been saddened to see fewer events in game this past year, we consciously reduced our expenses in an attempt to extend the life of PSC as long as possible. But now, it's reached the point where it costs more to maintain the servers than PSC brings in in revenue. We need to make the tough call to shut PSC down.

Starting on December 29th, we'll be shutting down In-App purchases in game and, more than 5 years after the first zombie was tapped into submission, January 29th, 2017 will PSC's last day.

We know it's difficult to hear this news. For many of you (and us too!) PSC has been a staple of your daily life for over five years. We know that some of you may choose to find old friends and bring them back for a final hurrah and we encourage that. In fact, for the remaining weeks:

- Safehouse Invites will reduce the cost to join a house by 80%
- Energy Drinks and Pills have been permanently discounted in the Black Market
- Increased Gifting Cap/Day to 10 gifts total
- We're checking to see if there's some fun to be had with regen times or the duel/hire levels (without breaking something)
- The Daily bonus and the Dailies will continue until the last day
- You might notice some changes to rare zombie appearance rates...

Holiday zombies will be roaming the wasteland until January 5th. After that, we're happy to release some/all of the zombies that YOU'D like to see in the wild. You can finish those elusive masteries, if you choose. Post below to let us know which zombies should return in the last month.

Also, for those of you that are interested (or who firmly believe in retail therapy), you can visit our Society6 page (https://society6.com/massivedamage) and snag yourself a Please Stay Calm shower curtain, a Honey Badger Coffee Mug, or a Happy Bunny Hoodie. A trinket to remember PSC for years to come.

Finally Survivors, everyone will have their own feelings and reactions to this news. Some might need to yell, some might wax nostalgic, some might blame us... We ask that you please respect one another's goodbye process. As we've always asked, "Please Be Respectful" and with the time that's left, enjoy yourselves with your friends!

We can't thank you enough for making PSC a weird and wonderful experience we've all been able to share. Friendships have been forged, Happily Ever Afters were created(there's 4 PSC fuelled marriages, we think!), a handful of villains were anointed, a couple PSC tattoos were inked, and over 2,000 terrible pun-filled titles were created and groan/giggled at. Not too shabby, folks.

Thank you, Survivors. It's been a swell ride.
<3 your friends at MDI

KofiC

• Beta Testers
  • Survivor
Re: Dev Update: December 2016 - PSC State of the Nation
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:30:42 AM »
It's been real real, y'all. Thanks for everything MDI. Also, please let Niko finish this game a mod

Niko Bacon

• Mercenary
  • Don't eat the Bakon
    • BaconPress
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:43:58 AM »
Thank you, I cannot say that enough about what you have done and the community you have created. Please Stay Calm is unlike anything I have come across in any platform of gaming especially in the Mobile category. There's nothing that even comes close in the level of how players can communicate with each other or even with the developers for that matter, in many other games if a friend of yours is not in the same group as you you will never see them. PSC is a huge difference in that regardless of your Location and all other factors you are always able to reach others by simply just knowing their username. Many other apps the developer staff are a silent shadow which just churns out content and occasionally provides in game support if a player emails them, but you all at Massive Damage are very frequently involved on the forums, through customer support and in both Safehouse and Global chats. Your community is truly amazing, in the years I have been lucky enough to be a part of, it has allowed me to create long lasting friendships with people worldwide, pulled me through nearly every personal issue I have had both in and out of Please Stay Calm. Players here have become family members, therapists, mentors and much more as for me as time has gone on. Massive Damage, you all get a lot of crap for so much in Please Stay Calm, from the lack of events to even too frequent of events. I would just like to tell you that this is an amazing thing you all have created, thank you again. I am glad to a part of this community, and I will stick with it forever. PSC has been there for me through so much, hospitalizations, additpction, deaths in the family, relationships and my struggles to solve everyone else's problems without killing myself in the process. So once again, a huge thank you to The CVC/Massive Damage and the Please Stay Calm community.

-Niko "Nick" Bacon  :)

P.S: Kofi, you're awesome! i still would love to see that happen! blue or not...i am going to enjoy and savor all of the time i have and will have in PSC.

I would love to see Dread Pirates(Like 4 of them for Lia), hosts,  Elves, unicorn paladin, Bloodtail,Smugglers, Hockey Goons(634 for Vix) Magicians & Soccer Aces, Bannermen show up again (really all of them!)

December 18 update: I recently realized the end date for PSC is the nine month anniversary of meeting my best friend, LianaJ. We've kept in contact each and everyday since then both in and out of PSC. There have been so many ups and downs they've been there for and helped me with, I cherish that fact more than they know. Had it not been for PSC I doubt our paths would have crossed and we wouldn't have become friends. I'll certainly miss seeing them and my other friends from PSC when it's all over, but I feel many of these closer relationships formed will remain intact even after PSC shuts its doors. Thank you again, Massive Damage.

January 4 Update: A Huge thank you to former and Current members of KSAT, Cacapon State Park, Alcatraz, Oakmont Country Club and Biscayne Park, many of you i consider close friends of mine and i look forward to staying in touch in the years to come. Y'all have been there with me on the road of life these past few years, both through the good and the bad and i appreciate that more than i can muster the words to say it.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:56:33 PM by Niko Bacon »
Did I ever order the blue paint?

Wolfgurl78

• Beta Testers
  • Hopeless
Sad face
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 06:09:43 AM »
I'm very sad to see the doors close on this game. Although I don't play much anymore, it makes me anxious to think it won't be here after January 29. I've forged some strong friendships, learned hard life lessons, and found love all here on psc. (For those of you who don't know, About 2 months ago Kansas Killer moved across the country to live with me).
I want to thank the devs for all their hard work and dedication for the last 5 years, especially Cass, she's my favorite :) I've only been here for 3.5 years but I've enjoyed everyday of that time.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:15:09 AM by Wolfgurl78 »

Nexus

• Beta Testers
  • Hopeless
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 07:35:06 AM »
I could use Zombie rabbits. Only thing I am close to mastering. Was hoping to master it next Easter. Would like to at least have one mastery title. Thanks. Also, Hockey goons would be nice too.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:39:33 AM by Nexus »

Michuru

• Beta Testers
  • Hopeless
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
So, what I'm hearing is... the hire glitch and Facebook connectivity aren't going to be fixed?

Seriously though, thank you for everything. You guys created a game that I devoted too much time to over the course of half a decade. You guys introduced me to some of the best friends I've ever had and Meggers. You guys were incredibly amazing. How many countless nights did Tiergen spend just fixing stuff? Cass, you've been so amazing at keeping us informed of what's going on. Thank you for your devotion to this community. I'm going to miss repeatedly tapping my phone. 
Alcatraz's Chief Executive Officer of Shenanigans

Redheadedroborex

• Hopeless
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 12:49:30 PM »
Dear friends at Massive Damage,
Thanks so much for a great game! I started playing at a pretty difficult time in my life and it definitely got worse before it got better.
Not too many people in game know this- but PSC got me through cancer treatment in 2013-2014. I played when I was waiting on biopsies that ended up being bad news. I played in the hospital, on chemo, waiting for daily radiation, healing from bilateral mastectomies, then a pulmonary embolism and gallbladder surgery.  I played while waiting for MRI's, X-rays, CT scans and so much blood work. PSC was a place I could joke around and be normal which I think did me a world of good. I was a smart ass in GC while I was bald with drains hanging out of my chest- it helped me forget the pain and fear for a while. When I was on so many steroids and couldn't sleep- I played and could relax.
I've made a lot of friends in the game and met quite a few people in real life (including Pinker- your office was closed when Major Rhyno and I were in Toronto).
I'm most grateful for meeting the love of my life- even though I lived in Tennessee and he lived in California. Major Rhyno and I met in person in April 2013 and saw each other as much as possible until I moved in with him last year- we're engaged now and are raising our kids together.
Because of your game- my life is completely different.  I live 2500 miles from where I started, and am in remission and happy.  I've traveled so much and have had a blast. My outposts are a diary of my travels. (Sunrise on Haleakala- Maui! Des Moines. Vermont. NY. Canada) The friends I've made in Algiers Point especially will always be important people in my life.
Thank you for your part in my story.
<3 Renee (aka Redheadedroborex)
Ps- the only 2 zeds I missed were wedding planners and cowboys. I'd love a chance to complete the zedia.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:15:51 PM by Redheadedroborex »

MDI_Teaspoon

• Massive Damage
  • Mercenary
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 01:57:10 PM »
Howdy Survivors,

I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you. Prior to working for MDI I felt trapped in a bad situation with no escape in sight. MDI and PSC gave me the keys to escape from that situation and finally start to pursue my dreams. I'm so grateful that I've had the opportunity to work on PSC. The last five years have been full of ups and downs, lots of long hours, and incredible stress...but I wouldn't take any of that back. I'm really glad to have been a part of this community and to contribute to the development of the PSC world. I really appreciate how supportive and kind you all have been throughout the years. We wouldn't be here without you guys, so thank you again. Hopefully we'll see y'all again where-ever the future takes us. :)

-Kenneth "Teaspoon" Hook  :)

Angelshark

• Player Moderators
  • Sentinel
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 02:37:16 PM »
/crying

Kierst72

• Mercenary
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
I'm going to need some serious therapy now....

Kierst72

Agent D

• Player Moderators
  • Mercenary
  • Thought I got lost in the woods...didn't ya?
    • CSP Wordpress
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »
Tch-- everyone's going sappy all of a sudden. 8)

I'm not much of a wordsmith, but:

All in all, PSC has been an intriguing ride, equal parts fun, equal parts stressful, and always hard to predict in more ways than one.  It's obvious its been a labor of love for quite some time for the Dev team and for many of the players who formed the community that kept survivors engaged and coming back.

While I know my presence has waned in the past months, PSC was a learning experience on many levels that I won't be soon forgetting.  To those who have known me from the early days till now, you'll know what I mean when I say that I'm not the same person I was when I started, and many of the experiences here have translated over into my approaches in my daily work and life -- which in of itself  is equal parts mad and surprising.

In being a player, then leader, then mod --and many things in between with varying degrees of success and failure-- PSC gave me a different outlook on how to handle myself and work with others; despite being in the context of simply 'an app on a phone'.  Often experiences will give back in accordance to what you were willing to put into it, PSC has been no exception to many of it's community.

So, in that spirit:

Devs -- thank you kindly for all of your efforts -- knowing the community as I have we're not exactly always the most easy to please bunch; so sticking it out with us is no small feat in of itself.

Fellow Survivors -- thanks for the laughs, support, critiques, input, and being the general ragtag bunch we all kept coming back too.  9 times out of 10, shenanigans were just shenanigans and nothing more, and that's saying something in the mad mad mad mad world of internet.  When even anger can be expressed in a way so as to keep the spirit of community intact without fraying apart at the seams, and maybe even generate some frustrated chuckles for the trouble, we have to be doing something right, no?

And last but most certainly not least:  Fellow Rangers past and present -- Thank you for effort, energy, and motivation.  Also thank you for challenging me to always be worth the trust, respect, support, advice, as well as earned criticism and forgiveness I was so routinely offered and extended in my time as a Ranger.  No matter what anyone says, it was all of you that made CSP worth being a part of -- I all managed to do was be lucky enough to have your permission to lead and serve to the best of my ability.

I could ramble on further, but I think that's enough wordiness out of me.  I'll be around until the last call, and perhaps with a surprise or so before it's all said and done if I can manage it!

Happy Hunting Survivors, and if you're ever in the Park's neighborhood give it a visit...never know who you might find!  Take Care!

Pink451

• Hopeless
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 08:51:33 PM »
Psc has been a lot of fun.  It's sad to see it ending , even though we knew it was coming.

I'd like to see elves, unicorn paladin, and Disney princesses!

Thank y'all so much!

Pink451

• Hopeless
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
And pickpockets!  It'd be nice to see the title!

JRodTig

• Hopeless
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »
Release Pacman!   I'd love to finally catch one of those!

AstaRotinn

• Hopeless
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 11:13:31 PM »
I never chat, and comment even less, but I've been on almost daily since PSC was on whatever free apps app it was on came out, I think Gree before it was Gree (even if many times it was just to continue my streak). I pretty much have had the game since I've had an iPhone. Gonna miss it.

But be proud! You outlasted Rage of Bahamut!