Author Topic: So, how does it end...  (Read 1127 times)

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
So, how does it end...
« on: December 13, 2016, 01:14:56 AM »
With the news that PSC will be sunset in the New Year, Global Chat started theorizing on how it all ends... Post your ideas, stories, and theories here! We'll read through everything and the best one (best is entirely subjective and no, we won't give you criteria on what makes it "best") will earn a custom title to wear proudly in PSC!

Deadline for submissions is Jan 5th, 2017. <-- just made that up right now.

Great creative/silly/inspired/dark/whatever, survivors!

Niko Bacon

• Mercenary
  • Don't eat the Bakon
    • BaconPress
Re: So, how does it end...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 01:20:09 AM »
PSC was the matrix and we were all trapped inside. Ezekiel Stone being the chosen one triggered the reset by breaking the system when he achieved Scavenger Level 301, with this reset humanity was released from the matri........PSC.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:44:19 PM by Niko Bacon »
Did I ever order the blue paint?

Michuru

• Beta Testers
  • Hopeless
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »
CVC has been notorious for their failing to keep one breed of zombie or another contained. They'd host a celebration in the green zone, and whatever undead mascot du jour would escape. Inevitably, the survivors would contain the threat... and two days later, Thursday would arrive, and it would happen all over again. Soon, the survivors had forgotten all about What's Her Name in the Glasses--the dead girl--and Paladin. That is, until one intrepid survivor pieced it all together: perhaps the CVC wasn't nearly so incompetent. Maybe they weren't failing to keep the undead scourge contained, but it was all a distraction to keep the masses from delving any deeper into this conspiracy...

This theory began to spread quicker than the zombie plague and soon, the survivors were no longer occupied by their SH Wars. They were united--a legion devoted to learning the truth. Why--why had they spent five years in hell, fighting against the undead? What secret could be worth such insanity?

The Survivor Army (SA) moved against the CVC. Fearful that their greatest secret was about to be discovered, they hit the button unleashing everything: Stylists, Sidekicks, Bloodfoot, Mrs. Claus, Zenguins, Hockey Goons... Zack and Tory... All of the undead were unleashed in a massive deluge and the SA used everything they had--every weapon, buff, and vehicle they had been hording--and they triumphed. They made their way into CVC's compound, determined to find out what heinous mastermind had been behind this. Whose Machiavellian machinations had they been beset by?

They dueled their way past Rusalka and Teaspoon and the rest (they left Cass alive, because reasons). Finally, they had reached the chambers of the commander--the one man who stood above all others. Finally, they were about to meet the man who had masterminded all of this insanity.

They opened the doors and found him bent over, with his pants around his ankles. "AT" was sprawled on one cheek; "CO" was written on the other.
Alcatraz's Chief Executive Officer of Shenanigans

Chat Killer

• Hopeless
    • Pro Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 10:15:18 PM »
From the standpoint of a storyline, I don't think I'm gonna top Michuru! Lol. But, I feel like PSC should end with a MDI/PSC player connection. Many of us have been playing since the infancy of the game. Even though many players left for whatever reason, a lot of those same players have returned for a farewell appearance to say goodbye. This in its self shows that the PSC community has always been strongly connected within itself. These players didn't stumble into PSC and find the "sunset" message. They are still connected outside of PSC to the players they became friends with because of PSC. In the final days, I'd love to see MDI connect these players back to the game they spent (for many of us) years playing. Btw, if I'm not mistaken, this Feb(?) would have made 5 years of PSC for me and DJ Johnny Mac. Connect all of these players with the game by opening the game mechanics up, give us the unseen stats and show us what has happened on your end while we were killing all these zeds that the CVC had no clue how to contain! MDI is from what I've seen the only Dev group out there that has not only paid attention to the requests of the players, but also made an honest effort to communicate with the players in an open, real-time format. You guys rock for that! So pop the hood on PSC and show us how it runs... Or ran.

Game mechanics:
Dueling Math. Lets face it, dueling obviously includes a slight amount of voodoo math. But how slight. What upgrades did or didn't affect the duel outcome? What other variables were included in to the math? How much of the outcome was connected to a random outcome generator?
Scavenging. How was the supplies per crate calculated? What other info if any would help us understand why some scavs had awesome returns while others, well... sucked?
Hunting.  Any player that ever tried to "master" a zed has played the "Go Hunt" shuffle. Oddly, it always seems that the zed you're looking for is just barely out of range of your energy on hand at the moment. Give us some insight on this topic.
Pacman. How was he set to attack? X number of posts? X period of time? Combo of the two? Something entirely different?
The elusive Pickpocket Kid. Obviously he was attached to random encounters, but not always. I'm sure Zeke would LOVE to understand this. I know I would.
These are just a few of the things that we the players would love to have some form of better understanding of. I'm sure others have questions of their own about game mechanics. I'm not looking for proprietary top-secret info here, just a better understanding of how the game worked from the Dev perspective.
Speaking of "The Dev Perpective", tell us more about you, MDI. From concept to launch, how long did it take? How many people were involved? Who was the mastermind with the brainchild concept? Was the first Porsche bought before or after apple approval? Lol juuuuust kidding. Obviously, there was a lot of overtime put into this. Especially in the fist year when someone had to manually push the Horde
Happiness is like wetting your pants, every one can see it, but only you can feels its warmth.

Chat Killer

• Hopeless
    • Pro Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:22:03 PM »
looks like there's a charater limit. So, cont... We, the players only saw 5-7 Devs ingame, how many people did it actually take to keep this puppy up and going. Give us a little view from your end of the app.
The players. Obviously, we have a leader board. Tell us the ungiven stats. Who used the most chat tokens? Who got muted the most? Safe houses came and went and often came back again, but what was the average member count over the life of the house? Who averaged highest between the combined events? Most already know I have the record for most guanlets finished in one event (102), but who ran the most gauntlets between all of them? (Still waiting for my [Gauntlet King] title btw). The archives will prob tell us who killed the most zeds in an event, but who killed the most total event zeds?  And for the love of God, will someone please say it out loud that Safehouse Wars WAS released... Under the name of Challenges?!
Finally, I add this: cred sales end a month before the plug in pulled on the machine and its servers get reassigned. I figure that it will take 2weeks before everyone is out of chat tokens, drinks, pills, etc. that means a lot of players will drift away... I propose that on Jan 14, 2017 PSC stop accepting new players and have 2 weeks of free play. Today's daily bonus: all hunt/scav energy is returned after the hunt/scav. (Unless you get killed/caught) Free Heals for everyone! It's a Dueling free-for-all!!!
I do hope to have the final post in Global. (Talk about a true chat kill)

Thank you MDI for (almost) 5 years of entertainment. PSC has been the ONLY game I've played durring this time. The next time I find a game this good, I plan to delete it and go buy a new car instead. LMFAO. For some of us, it was a nothing more than a way to pass spare time. For others, it was a love-hate relationship. But for me, it was ride I'd take again in a heartbeat.
Happiness is like wetting your pants, every one can see it, but only you can feels its warmth.

Zoesha

• Hopeless
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 02:39:47 PM »
The fine folks at CVC Labs have built a spaceship, launching the Green Zone residents into space, where they settle a distant planet they call New Terra. Hopefully, that works out for them!

Meanwhile, the survivors left behind gather their resources. Luckily, all those boxes Zeke scavenged are useful in building a humongous wall around San Antonio. Remember the Alamo, indeed! Other canny (or slightly insane) survivors make advances in spatula-cannon technology. Crazy times!

Ultimately, the zombie horde's greatest weakness is found to be Swedish furniture. After distributing a million leaflets of assembly instructions via hot air balloon, all the undead die already out of frustration. #WINNING

Agent D

• Player Moderators
  • Mercenary
  • Thought I got lost in the woods...didn't ya?
    • CSP Wordpress
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »
On the day it all ended, survivors in Strongholds and Safehouses had thought they had finally won the battle.
On the day it all ended, the green zones celebrated the end of their comfortable confinement and what they thought would be a return to the normal of the old world.
On the day it all ended, the CVC whistled quietly while staring up and away somewhere into space…
…Because the day it all ended, wasn’t on purpose. And it ended quite some time earlier than most knew, if you wanted to get technical.

-----

November 5th, 20XX
CVC Laboratories, Division <Redacted>

-----

The CVC had for some time given up on the notion of a cure. Suppression and Disposal through arming survivors had been more reliable, more fruitful, and frankly – more fun.

It also afforded the staff a bit of freedom in testing and tinkering with the undead. The influenza story had been but a mandated cover—a formality at best against mass panic from the higher ups who then packed themselves like sardines into the elite green zones. Anyone not drowning in denial could have seen through it. The staff had learned to deal with the hopelessness of the world after zeds by indulging in a sort of twisted macabre sense of humor once they lost hope for a means to cure or prevent infection. Costumed and specially dressed zombies, zombies with weird special powers, horrible genetic mutations with special weaknesses—the sky was the veritable limit…which most agreed Tiergan broke when he attached helicopter hats to a particularly feather light strain of shufflers that one time at a CVC office party.

Over the years as the zombie apocalypse pressed on, it had become somewhat of a game of one-upmanship among the remaining staff to create the most outlandish zeds or weapons, at least for those who hadn’t met their end from experimentations gone awry. And so, more and more the ‘innovations’ took longer and longer to produce, with more advanced mixtures and even wilder results being achieved. The failures often became what the survivors knew as stims and buffs…but CVC wasn’t telling them that.

It was one such fateful mixture, on one such fateful day…

Agent D

• Player Moderators
  • Mercenary
    • CSP Wordpress
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 09:45:43 PM »
---

Teaspoon was tapping away at a computer in his low lit office. On one monitor was a complex molecule spinning slowly labeled “X-121”, on the other was a notepad file he was filling up with potential changes he could make with a cocktail of enzymes, proteins, peptides, or applied use of microwaves, gamma radiation, and a spatula.

He sipped idly at a lukewarm cup of tea he had yet to finish when his phone lit up with an incoming call on a soft ring.

The receiver clicked as he lifted it up to his ear, “’Ello?”

“You having any luck with X-121?” It was Rusalka, sounding incredibly bored. Teaspoon could hear her head lightly hitting the desk.

He finished typing a thought out before replying “Nah…not a thing on this one. I could create a strain that has purple tongues and effectively drool dish soap and bubbles—that part seems to be contagious on its own to other zeds through the bubbles and vapor –may as well be considered airborne as a result. Also isolated a protein that causes a nose to appear where a navel should be, and also could trigger them to belch multiplication tables. Last was a combo combo that triggers them to groan in arpeggio…”

Rusalka groaned, “We did all the good stuff too early. All I have is an enzyme that causes them to backflip in place every so often. A combo that increases their virus count in their mouths…yay…as if they didn’t infect well enough. And a change that causes a lazy eye. How about weapons? I tried running with the microwave oven trident but it kind just makes an awful rotten smell and causes slight twitching…isn’t very satisfying.”

Teaspoon scratched his head, “I tried diagramming the multi-bladed lawnmower gauntlet. Was a bloody heavy thing once made and turns out the lock pin was only 50-pound tensile strength so I goofed. Shot the blades out like a shotgun in all directions except back once up to speed. Fun while it lasted as a spectacle but scrapped all the same. Not able to repeat it for lack of another lawnmower right now.”

The two shared a collective sigh, just before the intercom blared at each of them causing them to jump bolt upright in their respective offices.

Cassentra had gotten into the habit of turning up the volume when she used the intercom for announcements, as she had caught too many staff asleep as of late, ”Would everyone on active duty please report to the testing lab. The latest live tests for samples X-120-150 are ready for inspection. Thank You.”

Collectively, the CVC crew moved on to the lab.

Agent D

• Player Moderators
  • Mercenary
    • CSP Wordpress
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 09:48:14 PM »
---
The active team had assembled in front of a large pane of ballistic glass looking into the testing room. It was sealed in most cases and had secured filtered air vents.

This was somewhat a routine occurrence, but tended not to happen close to any scheduled mealtimes— even after 5 years of this sort of thing, you could still happen on something that might turn stomachs as easily as heads.

Cassentra, Rusalka, Teaspoon, and Tiergan stood in waiting, until the last active member sauntered in with a mad grin on his face, “Very good, we’re all here for change,” Dr. Lucky quipped brightly, “We can begin at once!”

Tiergan yawned, “Well, not sure if we can expect too much from this one. I only found one or two good ones.”

Rusalka and Teaspoon mumbled agreement in disinterest.

Cassentra tried to offer in warmly, “Well, we can test the documented ones and then let the subjects ‘play’ afterward. Usually turns out interesting when the results themselves aren’t”.

And so the testing began on zeds entered into the testing room beyond the glass one by one – with results occurring as documented for Rus and Teaspoon. Cass had brought a change that caused bone hardening, slowing the zeds down but making their bones like armor. Over time however, it was expected to induce bone deterioration back to initial levels a few hours after exposure. Tiergan kept mum on his change, muttering curses as his seemed to fail to take effect, saying something about needing a fresher subject possibly.

Dr. Lucky rubbed his hands gleefully as his turn came, and once the others witnessed his testing, were equally amused. He entered several zeds in at once and administered hit alterations and they then seemed to hunt after a chemical Dr Lucky had introduced to the chamber like they would a live survivor.

Tiergan couldn’t help but rattle off everything that came to mind resulting from leading zeds along a chemical trail, “Zombie Slot Cars! No no wait, Zombie League Wrestling! No wait! The Hoardinapolis 500! NO a better one…!”

Teaspoon and Rus got sidetracked on self-baiting weapons using the undisclosed chemical as Tiergan lost himself in title worthy puns.

Cass however offered a suggestion, “Doctor, do you suppose the zeds would attack each other if this chemical was present on them? It could be an effective survivor tool we could sell on the black market in controlled quantities.”

Dr. Lucky obliged the question by introducing the chemical to the room as a whole. Sure enough, the zeds tentatively clawed at one another and took healthy sized nibbles out of one another. It wasn’t a massacre, but it was still something – enough to focus everyone back to the zombie brawl at hand.

It wasn’t long before everyone arrived at the conclusion that only could result from epic boredom, and they yelled in unison “Death Battle!”

Agent D

• Player Moderators
  • Mercenary
    • CSP Wordpress
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 09:50:57 PM »
---

And so they introduced test subjects of all varieties into the mix and enjoyed the resulting carnage, placing non-serious bets on the shuffler to survive. They got down to the hardiest handful until something unexpected happened. Tiergan’s first test zed, still standing after all this time, began to rapidly inflate.

Tiergan watched with a childlike joy as the zed inflated to a cartoonish size, and erupted off the ground in a horrifying display of undead flatulence.

Tiergan’s cry of “YYYEEEESSSSS!” was halted after the zed took a lap around the test room, and shattered through the ceiling and off into the sky. He held on to the “s” of his yes for a bit, stuck in a perpetual hiss until he finalized it as “sssssshitake mushrooms…that shouldn’t happen they aren’t supposed to be sturdy enough to…wait…”

The whole group was silent for a moment. Escapes actually weren’t common for CVC…surprisingly enough. Escapes tended to be releases. But the gravity of Tiegan’s unfinished sentence hit home…once all the surviving zeds groaned out bubbles. They hurriedly researched the remaining subjects.

It wasn’t long before they discovered that X-121 combined with other samples could create cross infectivity among the zeds by overpowering existing infectivity strains.

The CVC staff nervously chuckled amongst themselves as another zed began to inflate.

Cass offered coolly, “Well, it’s not so bad. I’m sure the subject that managed to escape via…rocketing…wouldn’t have survived the return trip down?”

On cue, another zed rocketed around the room, smashing into a support beam and back to the ground.

Cass nodded, “See, he didn’t…oh my…”, and trailed off as the zed arose with a groan, stretched but undeterred… the temporary bone armor enough to withstand the shock, bubbles floating out of its maw, as it resumed ambling about and clawing at the chemically marked zeds still contained.

She rallied back, “Well, okay, but at least we know that this shouldn’t get out of hand right? The chemical is safely stored and documented that is used as an attractant, and the cross infectivity is limited?”

Dr Lucky pushed up his glasses coyly, “Yes indeed, triclosan. Not something the zeds are likely to come by, it is after all…the primary…activing…. In…gre..dient…in….” In the room next to them… a few bubbles popped ironically as their faces locked in moderate calm horror, “dish…soap…”

Agent D

• Player Moderators
  • Mercenary
    • CSP Wordpress
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 09:51:55 PM »
Teaspoon stuttered slightly, “My change causes them to self-produce dish soap…and introduced cross infectivity of the condition.”

Rus chimed in next, “Mine introduced increased virus count…in the mouth...likely infecting the bubbles and the air around them even more severely.”
Tier blurted, “I turned them into bio-gas powered scud missiles…apparently reusable to a degree,” he added as one inflated up again, and when launching leaving a trail of bubbles behind, “so that cat is out of the bag…and wandering about outside.”

Cass continued, “and I made them temporarily armored to survive the shock of impact and launch it seems.”

Lucky finished nervously, “and the changes of mine induce the hunting out of triclosan and thus they chase and attack it, so they could become giant masses of self-mutilating monstrosities…oh dear… I hope that doesn’t mutate as it goes from host to host…and the combo is now fully infective to existing strains…my this is quite the predicament that could run us out of our very comfortable jobs if it is allowed to spread…I do hope nothing could make this worse…our job security could be adversely affected…”

And as if on cue, Modmax and Grendel burst into the room, ”Hey, you all really need to check this out! We just made a bubble soap blaster that is flammable! We’ve been testing all day long around the CVC complex on the shufflers outside! It’s a bit finicky though and some of them are just soapy when it fails to light properly, but It’s the most fun we’ve had…in….” Modmax paused as the room went cold and multiple death glares focused on the entering duo.

“Err, hey,” Grendel spoke at length, “I guess you don’t like bubbles? Would the firehose version we tried first that Ictor cooked up that sprayed across several blocks had been better?”

Agent D

• Player Moderators
  • Mercenary
    • CSP Wordpress
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 09:52:42 PM »
---
It was needless to say, the menagerie of changes that day sparked the first wave of the counter infection. After several cross infections, the chemical attractant changed to include the common and outlandish, but almost invariably some combination that attracted zeds to each other for cross infection and mauling.

Survivors simply carried on as usual as the zed population plummeted like the human population did at the beginning of it all. And within barely a couple of months, the zeds were no longer the roving mass menace, but barely a collected rabble of self-destructing soap bombs hunting each other.

The resulting CVC documentation was expunged, and the CVC claimed no culpability in the events that transpired. Faced with the prospect of law and order returning…they figured it was best some things were left unsaid. And so, when the last zeds began to fall, and CVC gave the official ‘All Clear’. They simply quietly filed the whole resolution under “Sporadic Genetic Anomalies” and allowed the newly minted, and slightly ironic, ‘Zombie Apocalypse’ play out.

As to what happened to the survivors, green zones, and the CVC staff as the world tried to piece itself back together? Well, that’s a story for another time…

Agent D

• Player Moderators
  • Mercenary
    • CSP Wordpress
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »
FINAL NOTE

Sorry for the block text posts ... looked smaller on digital paper O_o.  Anywho -- hope it gets a laugh or two.  Carry on and take care!

Nic Saunders

• Beta Testers
  • Survivor
  • Eternal Philosopher of the Apocalypse
    • Hollinwood Cemetery
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 04:46:50 PM »
I had a long, fictionalized story planned out for this, but time has caught up with me, and I didn't finish it (yet). Plus, it looks like Agent did a pretty good job filling that role anyway. So, here's my entry:

January 29th finally comes. The MDI team and the remaining players say their goodbyes. They begin to shut down the game server, but something goes wrong. The game just won't shut down. Players are surprised and elated when midnight on January 30th hits and the game is still active. A final shutdown control is implemented, and a brilliant, blinding flash emanates from the screens. Seconds later, the room goes dark, with the MDI team slumped over and unconscious.

All remains quiet until a soft moan is heard. Then another, louder groan pierces the silence. Cass' fingers twitch. Dr. Lucky stretches. Tiergan begins to stumble to his feet. The team slowly stands up... eyes pale and glazed... skin tones becoming sickly shades of blue, green, and pink... feet shuffling for the doors...

A computer monitor flashes a small message in the top-right corner as the MDI team mindlessly wanders away in search of flesh...

ERROR. SHUTDOWN FAILURE. CVC CONTAINMENT BREACH. PLEASE STAY CALM.
Don't be shocked that people die
Be surprised you're still alive

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 06:42:47 PM »
We can't pick one. These are actual thought-out, longform stories and they're are all great.

Check your titles, survivors. :)