Author Topic: Recent Kickstarter Post  (Read 324 times)

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
Recent Kickstarter Post
« on: December 23, 2016, 10:07:05 AM »
For those of you who don't tune in to the updates as frequently as you may or may not have, see here first:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kenseto/halcyon-6-starbase-commander/posts/1766077

The upcoming changes to officers look super cool! I'm already hoping that the specializations and level-10 branch aren't hard coded. That way, modders could make a tree the size of, well...

hmm...

the Zombie Apocalypse maybe? I don't really know if that's quite as big as I have in mind, but the ratio of PSC forum posts to Halcyon 6 forum posts has implications in that direction.
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
Re: Recent Kickstarter Post
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »
Excellent cross post, MongooseCalledFred! *high five*

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »
Anything that gives me good reasons to climb toward that "Top Ten Topic Starters" stat box is welcome. ;)

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 09:31:01 PM »
After chewing on this for a while, I began wondering, "Why do the cross-class specializations converge?" (I wasn't actually using that term, so I just went back to hammer it back in again.) Not knowing what the "diablo-style branching progression system" is going to amount to (and technically forgetting it in my musings), I got a bit worried that officers were going retain the "choices up front, not so much later" aspect. Looking at the post again, my fears have subsided. I'm still very interested in any progress on... well, just about anything Halcyon 6 related at this point. ;)

I've also gotten some ideas for modding. I was reading about buffer overruns and magic (two different books), and I thought "Magic is like hacking: they both let you execute arbitrary actions that the system was not designed to perform in their absence." So I started thinking about implementing both magic and hacking in an RPG. Hacking could be used to mess with spells and make them do unexpected things. While discussing it with a friend, I realized that I could add Physical attacks and get a Halcyon triange:
Physical > Hacking > Magic > Physical
I haven't quite figured out what possible specializations and combinations would be. When I chew on it some more, I'll decide if this would be better as it's own game or as a mod. ??? A separate game offers a lot more customization. A mod is a lot less work, even if I skip tools and jump straight for those .lua's. I might be able to do both.