Author Topic: Calling all Survivors! The REAL "PSC in Space"  (Read 506 times)

MongooseCalledFred

• Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
Calling all Survivors! The REAL "PSC in Space"
« on: February 04, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
Incoming Transmission from Federation High Command!*
I have a proposition. I want to make a PSC mod for Halcyon 6. My qualifications:
  • 137 hours of Halcyon 6 playtime
  • Familiarity with the Halcyon 6 .lua's
  • My only other real previous mod was a copy-and-paste with my own images, effectively what would happen here (minus the images).
Summary: I think I can make the .lua files do just about anything they were intended to do, maybe more. However, I don't know PSC--all I could do by myself is scrap together some names from the forums and whatever statistics I could find on blogs. This is where you come in.

With your help, we can make a mod that captures the maximum PSC feel possible. Here's what I want to include, in stretch goal order:
  • Replace the officer names with Survivors' names. Sign Ups here: http://forums.pleasestaycalm.com/index.php?topic=15749.0.
  • Have Survivors pick their powers and traits.
  • Replace the ground combat abilities with PSC weapons. (Possibly using the equipment system that I expect to be implemented.)
  • Zombify the random encounters.
  • PSC-ify the space combat abilities.
  • Rework the currencies to match PSC.
  • Replace the existing factions with Apocalyptic factions. (Zombies? Green Zones?)
  • Replace the whole plot with something one or more of you writes.
In theory, there is probably more that could be done, and that order does not need to hold if more complicated stuff gets support. Interested in making this happen? Suggestions? Questions? Comments? Post below!

*This is Halcyon Mongoose Modding Federation, the group I just created for keeping tabs on the people who want to help on the production end. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/HalcyonMMF Send me a PM if you want an invite.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:48:02 PM by MongooseCalledFred »
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!

Nic Saunders

• Beta Testers
  • Survivor
  • Eternal Philosopher of the Apocalypse
    • Hollinwood Cemetery
Re: Calling all Survivors! The REAL "PSC in Space"
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »
This is an awesome idea!

I don't have any experience with H6 (yet), but if this can all be done, I'm surprised MDI hasn't thought about doing something like this already. (or maybe they have?)

Some thoughts from a regular PSC player:

There was a lot of PSC artwork salvaged from the game through screenshots. Weapons, player stats, zombies, misc. items, etc... We are still working on finding good ways to share these images though, so you have to ask around.

Would factions make sense to line up with PSC strongholds? There were about 25 popular ones at the end of the game, plus many, many older ones that had storied histories.

There are definitely writers in the community too if you go that route. I think you'll see significant support for something like this. At least I hope you do.
Don't be shocked that people die
Be surprised you're still alive

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 10:42:34 PM »
This mashup is MDI approved. :D

It'll be neat to see where this goes! Have fun, Commander Survivors.

MongooseCalledFred

• Sentinel
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »
Would factions make sense to line up with PSC strongholds? There were about 25 popular ones at the end of the game, plus many, many older ones that had storied histories.

There are definitely writers in the community too if you go that route. I think you'll see significant support for something like this. At least I hope you do.
Factions could line up with strongholds, if someone comes up with a good plot. The current factions are pretty much "ask for help when the Chruul show up, raid each other, and try to make you think you're getting the better end of the deal." That's not the impression the forums give me of the strongholds. However, all that interaction ought to be moddable, so it should be fairly simple to rewrite faction behavior to something more like friendly rivalry. I'm guessing Halcyon 6 itself (the player faction) would be one of the strongholds, maybe a new one.

MongooseCalledFred

• Sentinel
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 08:23:00 PM »
I found a tweet on the Halycon 6 twitter that showed an alien officer with a new ground combat animation. That tells me that modding the animations will be possible. Unless I can recruit an artist or the mod tools are really strong, I'll probably use whatever the stock animations are.

At the moment, I'm thinking of limiting the officer pool to the sign-ups and making everyone available at the start. Reworking powers shouldn't be too hard. I just have to wait for the branching progression system to see how much they change.

MongooseCalledFred

• Sentinel
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »
I have some new ideas for the mod.

Announcing: Please Shoot Chruul

Story: The Chruul invade the way they normally do. After promoting your first officer, you discover a prototype time ship. It's a bit questionable whether it works and how long it will stay that way. Being a big history buff, you remember the last group to thrive in a crisis--the Survivors of the 21st century Zombie Apocalypse. Who could be better at thriving in the Chruul Apocalypse? You send the first officer to retrieve some. The officer goes back in time, rounds up all the survivors he/she can find (read: everyone who signs up to be included), and brings them back to Halcyon 6. The time ship blows up shortly after their return. You now get the basic Halcyon 6 plot, only you have a bunch of Legendary officers to start with.

Events: I'd like to go through as many events as possible and make sure that the PSC officers' traits will always trigger an extra option. For example, "Cocky" currently allows you to show cadets how to shoot a bigger hole in the wall. I don't really know how many extra options are already programmed in.

Combat: I'd leave space combat approximately the way it is. I could add new legendary powers or equipment if someone wants them. Ground combat would get the whole rework mentioned in the first post. I can try to add drinks, stims, pills, and whatever other loot people want.

Simulated Microtransactions: I can make the loot mentioned above require a new currency that gets earned through various means. Examples: complete research tasks, win ground combats, spend Materials or Dark Matter. This will only be added if the PSC players want it.

Are these dumb ideas? Should I rework them entirely? Am I a genius? Are any PSC players still lurking in these forums? Let me know below! 66% of recent posts can get lonely after a while.