Author Topic: [BETA 1.3.1.0] Thoughts so far  (Read 313 times)

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
[BETA 1.3.1.0] Thoughts so far
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »
I like that Ironman mode now identifies that it will disable rerolls. I didn't check the box. The morale itself hasn't done much yet. The only time I saw it go up was when I killed off some extraneous green shirts without letting them hit me. The lead up had "placeholder" in two screens. I can send you the save file if it has an event log that would be useful. (I sent out boarding shuttles.)

I'm also noticing that Commander is a bit easier than before. My officers were level 5 after cleaning out most of the pirates, before attacking the Chruul. And I've also got the Tier 2 hanger cooking.
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
Re: [BETA 1.3.1.0] Thoughts so far
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:33:48 PM »
Morale events have been nice. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a morale cap, since the Counselor's Room adds +25 morale immediately. I don't want to waste bonus points. One of the quests (hallucinations near the Dark Matter Multiplier) still has (placeholder) text in it. Surprisingly, the propaganda campaign required an extensive scan.

It seems a little strange that the bonuses get applied on a >75% level rather than a >=75% level. Also, Class Skills Bonus doesn't do anything yet... or does it?  ???

I'm beginning to realize that although running eng-eng-sci is feasible, it isn't the best setup for certain scenarios. I'm getting the impression that having two equal fleets that can be mixed and matched for different aliens is probably the best, so long as the "race to the top" doesn't get in the way.

I also seem to be lucking out with Riley Pham. His traits have produced a much greater frequency of bonus options than prior officers.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:36:53 PM by MongooseCalledFred »

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »
I went back to a pre-Act 3 file and built a Counselor's Room. I was disappointed that all activities are "once and done." I have some ideas for more ways to boost morale:
 1) The cadets wanted the barracks. Why not boost morale when you complete a training task?
 2) The case isn't so strong, but why not have a morale boost on other upgrades?
 3) Boost morale when you select a new officer. Extra officers boost survival chances.
 4) Boost morale when an officer or ship gets promoted. This could be tied to a trait: only the popular officers boost morale.

I'm also wondering if all transit events boost morale, or if my choices have an effect. If they have an effect, I want to see that before I make the choice.

Do ship battles boost morale? Or is it rescuing a colony? If either, we should probably be told that somewhere.

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 09:30:18 PM »
I've been thinking about that Class Skills Bonus morale reward. Assuming it actually does something at the moment, I can't tell if it boosts XP, increases research speed, or provides a higher chance at getting good traits. It would be nice if it was more descriptive.

While I'm on the subject of transparency, I just saw a review that mentioned that the reviewer still didn't know what Crew Panic does. That got me thinking again. Weapons Disruption's effect is fairly obvious--when a weapon is disrupted, you always have the effect. And "disruption" appears in both places. With Crew Panic, there is no way of knowing that it can produce a random move. This could be especially annoying if it wastes an epic move.

Example: my legendary-officer fleet was fighting Chruul. Two were left. Suki had Crew Panic, so she used Nuclear Strike to defeat both enemies and get an overkill on one of them. That was the first time I'd seen the Nuclear Strike animation. It probably would have been more impressive if I'd chosen to use it instead of being surprised by it. And that got me thinking that I might have been able to challenge a T5 fleet (mine was 5-4-4) with a full complement of Epics.

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 10:13:45 PM »
We always look forward to your thoughtful and detailed feedback, MCF. Thanks for sharing! We've sent this whole thread to the team for review. :)

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »
I've been thinking about that Class Skills Bonus morale reward. Assuming it actually does something at the moment, I can't tell if it boosts XP, increases research speed, or provides a higher chance at getting good traits. It would be nice if it was more descriptive.
By looking at trait files, I just identified that Class Skills Bonus increases research speed. I can now see where the name is coming from. At the time of the quoted post, I was confused by the information about the huge officer update that was looming in the unidentified future.