Author Topic: Art Assets - Modding  (Read 4472 times)

scorpiovaeden

• Hopeless
Art Assets - Modding
« on: February 26, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »
Art Assets - Modding.

Hello fellow space travelers,

Does anyone know how to find/open up the art assets for this game? I would like to start some officer mods.

I have gotten a decent understanding of what's needed to make custom officers, so now I would like to start exploring custom skills and the art work.

Just need a little bit of direction on where to find and how to open the art files.

You can see what I have done so far in the attached image: I have designed a custom hero named Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly). Using the base Oberon hero - I have changed his skills to be ranged oriented and also made him a legendary officer (adding the legendary skill Doom Cannon to him).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:11:46 AM by scorpiovaeden »

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
Re: Art Assets - Modding
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:22:56 AM »
My guess is that Unity can open the .assets and .resource files in the H6_Data folder (several layers up from all the .lua's). Other than that, my information is limited to what I've dug out in search of guide content.
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 05:58:20 PM »
Great news! I just found .png files with the officer's head sprites. The mdi_baseline.h6module/officers/<insert name>/animations/data folder has "head.lua" and "head.png" in it. Note that this is probably only in the Beta branch at present, since all my previous data runs found only a list of files. Those files are now properties.lua files within the officer-specific folders. I still don't know how to modify the primary animations themselves, but you can pick which shooting animation or device animation, etc an officer has. I'm not quite sure whether the properties file or animations folder is actually in control.

scorpiovaeden

• Hopeless
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 06:11:56 PM »
Great news! I just found .png files with the officer's head sprites. The mdi_baseline.h6module/officers/<insert name>/animations/data folder has "head.lua" and "head.png" in it. Note that this is probably only in the Beta branch at present, since all my previous data runs found only a list of files. Those files are now properties.lua files within the officer-specific folders. I still don't know how to modify the primary animations themselves, but you can pick which shooting animation or device animation, etc an officer has. I'm not quite sure whether the properties file or animations folder is actually in control.

Cool thanks I will check it out.

Would be great to be able to design additonal heads (the bodies would be fairly standard for exeryone - unless of course someone wanted to design new uniforms).

I am still trying to figure out how to create all new officers - seems I am still not locating and altering every file needed. So far I have discovered the need to create -

h6_tutorial_opening_cinematic.lua (alter to add the new officer to the list)
h6_tutorial_opening_cinematic_dev_menu.lua (alter to add the new officer to the list)

Two loadout files are needed - one for the gc and one for the tac/sci/eng file for the officer.

And of course the officer file itself for the new officer.

SO I am still trying to determine what else needs to be added to make an all new offier.

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »
If you want the officer to appear when you get to select a new officer, you probably need to add the folder/file name to the mdi_main_campaign.h6module/scenario_data/fleets/officers.lua file. I'm not 100% positive that that's what the list does, but it probably doesn't hurt.

scorpiovaeden

• Hopeless
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 06:45:45 PM »
If you want the officer to appear when you get to select a new officer, you probably need to add the folder/file name to the mdi_main_campaign.h6module/scenario_data/fleets/officers.lua file. I'm not 100% positive that that's what the list does, but it probably doesn't hurt.

Perfect thanks.

I never noticed that file/list as I have been looking through. I never thought to check the fleet files.

I am going to see if adding a custom officer name to that list is the final piece of the puzzle.

EDIT:

Ok, so maybe that helps or maybe it does not. For the first time now I am getting a glitch when starting a new game :). So either adding the custom tactical officers name to the tactical list did the trick (and now their is something else missing from making the custom officer work) or it cuased the glitch itself.

Either way - crashing and glitches usually means progress when modding :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:49:52 PM by scorpiovaeden »

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
I wonder what would happen if you created another .h6module (like the tutorial) and put the appropriate folder structure into it?

It might be that the properties.lua file is referencing hidden code/folders in the Actor Animation Table section. Have you modified that part at all?

scorpiovaeden

• Hopeless
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 07:42:18 PM »
I wonder what would happen if you created another .h6module (like the tutorial) and put the appropriate folder structure into it?

It might be that the properties.lua file is referencing hidden code/folders in the Actor Animation Table section. Have you modified that part at all?

Hmm... that might be above my skill level (or something I would need to see it done to understand how to do it). I left the actor animations alone - as you can use the animations with any of the officers.

For example, I changed the look and name of the starting Science captain (Lucas Beaumont) - to do so I copied the idle/attack/etc files from the officer Domingo and pasted them into Lucas's officer file. That way when I start a new game the science captain's portrait and name reflect the portrait and name I setup. And then in ground combat he looks like Domingo instead of Lucas which is exactly what i wanted.

In terms of hidden code I might be a bit lost. And unfortunately I think you might be right - there must be something else I am missing or not able to see, to make the new officer appear in the game without causing crashes.

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 08:15:37 PM »
Since you didn't change the data in the table, that shouldn't be the problem.

I tried building another .h6module like I suggested, but the game doesn't recognize it in the scenario list. I'm sure this is how mods are going to be implemented when they get full support, but it seems to be hardcoded at the moment. The attachment is what I was hoping would work.

scorpiovaeden

• Hopeless
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 08:22:08 PM »
Since you didn't change the data in the table, that shouldn't be the problem.

I tried building another .h6module like I suggested, but the game doesn't recognize it in the scenario list. I'm sure this is how mods are going to be implemented when they get full support, but it seems to be hardcoded at the moment. The attachment is what I was hoping would work.

Oh wait! Nevermind it worked!

I had originally added his name to the bottom of the tactical officer list - and that caused a weird loop back to the menu screen.

But in putting his name up further in the list - it worked!

I just got my custom made officer to appear in the officer selection screen.

I didn't need to do a new folder like you were saying (although that probably will be what is needed for more extensive mods). I just had to add his name further up the tactical officer list in the officer.lua file you mentioned before :)

Muahahah let the custom officer modding begin! Now all I need is for the developers to release the art files so that I can add custom heads!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:25:06 PM by scorpiovaeden »

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 08:26:14 PM »
Great! Now let's hope the big officer update (1.4.0.0?) doesn't change all this up too much.  ;)

scorpiovaeden

• Hopeless
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
Great! Now let's hope the big officer update (1.4.0.0?) doesn't change all this up too much.  ;)

Hhaha for sure. Hopefully this ground work is enough to help later when the game is complete. I have done over 20 custom class mods for Darkest Dungeon, so I am no stranger to updates breaking mods, and then having to make them work again :)

Thank you very much for the help in figuring this out!

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 01:31:36 PM »
Nice recon, you two! You'll find more and more of the art becoming accessible as we transition over to having image files exposed for modding purposes. For now tho, it's a limited set of officer sprite stuff. We're really looking forward to your creations! Personally, I can't wait to tear through hyperspace with Mal Reynolds, Spock, and Ripley.

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 08:12:20 PM »
I tried to make up some officer artwork of myself, but the primary result was a greater appreciation of the artists who made 70+ of these. ;)

scorpiovaeden

• Hopeless
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 08:40:55 PM »
Nice recon, you two! You'll find more and more of the art becoming accessible as we transition over to having image files exposed for modding purposes. For now tho, it's a limited set of officer sprite stuff. We're really looking forward to your creations! Personally, I can't wait to tear through hyperspace with Mal Reynolds, Spock, and Ripley.

Awesome :)

I made up a group of 12 custom officers today (using default skill sets and built-in art). Made these guys so far:

Firefly Officers:

Malcolm Reynolds - Tactical - Legendary
Inara Serra - Tactical - High Diplomacy Skill
Jayne Cobb - Tactical
Zoe Washburne - Tactical

Hoban 'Wash' Washburne - Engineer
Kaylee Frye - Engineer - Legendary
Mr. Universe - Engineer

Dr. Simon Tam - Science
Shepherd Book - Science - Medium Diplomacy Skill

Unique Officers:

Caitlan Heightfire - Tactical - Legendary
Mystrala Nyx - Science - Medium Diplomacy Skill
Reichan Jax - Engineer - Legendary

Once the art assets release, I will do up some custom heads/portraits for them :). I will most likely post them to the Nexus once I can do custom art and to post them there until the Workshop becomes available for the game.