Author Topic: Morale and Achievements  (Read 120 times)

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
Morale and Achievements
« on: June 15, 2017, 05:14:12 PM »
Apparently you sneaked in some extra achievements when you added the Grand Admiral achievement. Based on their names, I'm reconsidering my Grand Admiral achievement-grab-run strategy. (And trying to decide exactly how much dilly-dallying at each point is still acceptable.) Depending on what the requirements actually are, it seems a bit odd that they are hidden. The semi-obvious general strategy is to wait at key points until you are fully prepared to attack. People aren't likely to get those achievements by accident. They might strive to get them if they knew about them, but the complete radio silence isn't helping. (For the record, I only noticed them because I was checking which aliens I'd already annoyed.)

Now to morale. It's a bit odd that finding facilities doesn't provide a morale boost. It would be a way to keep up morale in the early game before you can get the counselor's room. I also find it a bit strange that the "zero" on the counter is 75%. 25% good and 75% bad implies that morale was intended to be an obstacle. (I realize there is a cushion, but still.) If that's the case, it might be a good idea to add a related achievement. For example, beat the game with less than 25% morale, or get morale up to 99%.
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!

MDI_softcookie

• Administrator
  • Hopeless
Re: Morale and Achievements
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
That's a very good point you've made there about morale boost when discovering facilities. :) something the H6 team could perhaps think about including in the future. Thank you!

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
Re: Morale and Achievements
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 09:50:05 AM »
I've seen at least one person on the Steam forums questioning the decision to use crew as the resource consumed at the Counselor's Room. I'm guessing that crew were used to address the "nothing can be done with crew" issue. However, I tend to agree with the Steam poster. Currently, the bare mechanics look like "we sacrificed some cadets to who-knows-what to boost morale." It would make a bit more sense if the tasks were retirement parties. My suggestion is to refund the crew when the task is complete. That way, it would look like X crew were assigned to party preparations and you can't send them off to do something else at the same time. This could be extended to officer recruitment. If it cost 400 crew to recruit a new officer, you should get the 399 crew that weren't selected back. Now that killing greenshirts drops morale, it just seems out of place that undeniably planning to lose far more of them should boost morale instead of dropping it.
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!