Author Topic: Satellite Defense implementation  (Read 145 times)

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
Satellite Defense implementation
« on: July 28, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »
What if you could install the satellites just like a drone? (And possibly build them at Drone Control, too.) Instead of turning the resource indicator gold, it would add a green shield (like the task indicators when upgrading the facility, only it stays there.) When a raid fleet arrives, the colony sends a distress signal, but continues to operate normally. The shield starts turning red. So long as the shield holds, you can fly ships in and choose to grab resources, evacuate the facility, and/or attack the raid fleet. When the shield breaks, the colony will lose its resources and you will have to fight the fleet to access it, as you would now.

A variation on this would be to have the facilities start with a weak shield that is no different mechanically from the current version (except for the ring). You would then be able to upgrade it to make the colony be able to hold out longer in case of attack. In this case, the ability to evacuate could be skipped. This could be extended to make more powerful fleets take down the shields faster.

Orbital Bombardment could be implemented similarly. Instead of being the "ships attack the planet" that we expected and the Chruul already use, it could be implemented as colony defenses that slowly damage the attacking fleet (bombarding orbit). This could be tied directly to shields or made its own upgrade.

Anyone have improvements they'd like to offer? Other implementations entirely?
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!

MDI_softcookie

• Administrator
  • Hopeless
Re: Satellite Defense implementation
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »
I really like this idea! I mentioned this to the rest of the team, and while we really do love this thought, implementation would definitely take some time- so it'll be something we'll be keeping in mind for the future  ;)

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
Re: Satellite Defense implementation
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »
I'm sure that the Kickstarter backers will be happy that the cogs are turning!
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!