Author Topic: Lightspeed Notification Freeze  (Read 104 times)

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
Lightspeed Notification Freeze
« on: August 19, 2017, 12:38:57 PM »
Apparently, the Event Queue and the Notifications play well enough together when a task is repeated. (Well enough that it doesn't freeze, but not well enough that the event queue item can actually be read.) However, two notifications at the same time does seem to cause a problem. I defeated a Xlar raid fleet with my secondary fleet, then ordered it home. One officer leveled up in the fight. Just as the notification began to slide into view, the game froze. Further detective work figured out that the Crew Barracks were scheduled to finish recruiting crew at about the same time. That's why I suspect a notification conflict. I'm guessing that the conflict would not have happened if I had not started time again so soon. (It might even be a frame specific timing issue, in which case it could be impossible to replicate.) I'm emailing the most recent auto-save, the error report, and a screen capture from after the freeze.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:24:18 PM by MongooseCalledFred »
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!

MongooseCalledFred

• Global Moderator
  • Sentinel
  • I think, therefore I'm slow.
    • Guide to Beating the Chimera
Re: Lightspeed Notification Freeze
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »
On actually repeating the process, it looks like a Chruul invasion of the Bridge may have collided with a Petty Officer getting added to a ship. The Petty Officer seems to have been the notification that was appearing when the game froze. This debunks my theory as to exactly what happened, but it still leaves the issue of colliding events from different sources.
Celebrate with me! I finally hit Sentinel!

MDI_softcookie

• Administrator
  • Hopeless
Re: Lightspeed Notification Freeze
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:46:16 PM »
Thanks MCF! Got your report in the inbox and logged it in.