Author Topic: Players Black Market  (Read 1773 times)

cscott300

• Player Moderators
  • Hero
    • Creekside Blog
Players Black Market
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:45:04 PM »
Simply put, there should be a black market where players can offer up items for sale. So as not to compete with the main black market, these could be items that are not available for sale currently, for example:

* Items received as drops during events. This would give the crazy event-whores (present company excluded  8)) a place to sell off some of the drops they will never use (under-powered buffs, or just an over-supply of some types, etc.)

As for the pricing of the items, it could be done two ways:

• The seller can set the price (any combination of cash/supplies/credits) and the buyer chooses. Anyone can buy them.
  • The player sells the item back to the black market at a pre-determined market price. The players black market then makes the item available for purchase to anyone interested.

This would also create a market for some of the newer players who were not around to get some of the more generous drops, and then needs them in a current event (such as now when hunting Seamus Zeds.)

Anyway, prolly never gonna happen due to development complexity, but it would be awesome.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:56:52 PM by cscott300 »
Interesting idea, cscott300. Difficulty isn't an automatic death sentence to a good idea. :)

queendahlia13

• Player Moderators
  • Survivor
Re: Players Black Market
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »
I actually really dig this idea cscott. Some way to redistribute all the overstock/unwanted inventory would be righteous, and super helpful to those who needed it! I know I would throw down for some +50% hunt buffs if it were readily available for me.

MDI_Cassentra

• Massive Damage
  • Legend
  • Survivor Support Team
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »
Interesting idea, cscott300. Difficulty isn't an automatic death sentence to a good idea. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:18:19 PM by MDI_Cassentra »

MrDevious

• Survivor
  • Rex Tremendae
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:15:52 PM »
1. We could use some better things to trade, we don't exactly have anything good atm to trade.
2. The annoying thing about players markets is merchants, there will always be people who try to control the market and manipulate prices.
A player market is a good idea, but people can make it evil.

Devastate

• Beta Testers
  • Sentinel
  • [Patriarachnid]
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »
2. The annoying thing about players markets is merchants, there will always be people who try to control the market and manipulate prices.
A player market is a good idea, but people can make it evil.
The best way around this is a set price on an item that cannot be changed, ever. Without fluctuation in prices as a result of supply and demand, there can be no evil capitalistic rulers of the player's market.

MrDevious

• Survivor
  • Rex Tremendae
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 05:23:16 AM »
Unfortunately that'd destroy the basic principle of the market place. With set prices high demand items would be bought out most of the time and low demand items would go vastly unsold... In-game economies are tricky like that.

Areksoo

• Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 08:20:09 AM »
People will cheat the system... and even worse, some will even scam others.

For example, I will sell you all these buffs, if you send me $50 in cash to my PayPal account.  And then never send the buffs.  <--MDI doesn't want to deal with this.

Itcus

• Beta Testers
  • Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 09:09:26 AM »
Market Value.
Great idea Scott. I used to play a P.C online game called 'Guild Wars' that had this system.
It was great.
Would be interesting to see what 700 Destroyer Shackles would be worth lmao.

cscott300

• Player Moderators
  • Hero
    • Creekside Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »
People will cheat the system... and even worse, some will even scam others.

For example, I will sell you all these buffs, if you send me $50 in cash to my PayPal account.  And then never send the buffs.  <--MDI doesn't want to deal with this.

Yes, that could happen, but since it would be done outside of the walls of the game, there is very little MDI can be faulted for. I am sure some people have tried (and maybe even succeeded) to sell their game account in the same way. MDI can only police this through punitive rules in the terms of use, with account suspension as the possible outcome.

Unfortunately that'd destroy the basic principle of the market place. With set prices high demand items would be bought out most of the time and low demand items would go vastly unsold... In-game economies are tricky like that.

Yes, that could happen. But considering most everything already has a pretty good reference value based on existing items in the Black Market, it should not be too difficult to establish a fair rate for everything. And yes, some low value items may remain unsold, but that is MDI's issue, since they would be the intermediary responsible for the actual buying and selling (in the second option where the market is pre-set.)

I will quote you warmly and accurately...as I march to the gallows  :o

Exsenile

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 07:58:37 AM »
Let it first be said that i really enjoy this idea scott :D.

Perhaps it could be more of a trading feature, not necessarily an auction house. You put up your item(s) , money, creds, etc for anything you want from another player, they choose to accept or not or even correct the offer to favor in some way and eventually reach a deal or not. Many MMO games implement this feature and to be frank is highly useful rathe than a straight up auction house. There are no fees that go along with using a profit system.

cscott300

• Player Moderators
  • Hero
    • Creekside Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 08:12:14 AM »
Let it first be said that i really enjoy this idea scott :D.

Perhaps it could be more of a trading feature, not necessarily an auction house. You put up your item(s) , money, creds, etc for anything you want from another player, they choose to accept or not or even correct the offer to favor in some way and eventually reach a deal or not. Many MMO games implement this feature and to be frank is highly useful rathe than a straight up auction house. There are no fees that go along with using a profit system.

I also like the idea of Trading, but I fear that one could easily abuse it via the use of Alt accounts:

* Player A start 5 alternate accounts, for the sole purpose of generating credits.
* Every day, he logs into those accounts, and collects the free credits (over time, of course.)
* After a month or so, he is generating between 50-100 credits from these alt accounts each day.
* Periodically, he trades a somewhat limited value item to each of those accounts for a ridiculous number of credits.

Tada, I have gamed PSC, producing a farm of unlimited credits to harvest, robbing MDI of revenue and ultimately killing PSC.

So I think a brokered market would protect PSC from being drstroyed from within. Since we all know:

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.